Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I claim new style ESA?

ken58ken58 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I have been told i cannot claim contribution esa due to the fact i claim carers allowance.i am in a universal credit area but not recieving any payments due to a works pension.
I have fit notes from my GP saying i not fit for work at present. I would like to know if i can claim new style esa even though i have a works pension of £800 per month and no savings. Thanks for reading

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You can't claim New Style Contributions based ESA and carers allowance because of the overlapping benefit rule.

May i ask, is the reason you're claiming carers allowance because you look after a partner that you live with? If so what benefit does your partner claim?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ken58ken58 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    It's just new style esa I want to claim. It is my mother I care for not at my address. I stay at hers a few nights as she has a fear of having a fall during the night and it gives her a bit of reassurance which helps her get a good sleep she is on dla and 86yrs of age.
    You can't claim New style contributions based ESA because you claim carers allowance. As you live in a full Universal credit area you maybe able to claim this with your fit note but your pension will be counted as income when claiming means tested benefits.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ken58ken58 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Cheers for the advice the benefit system is so complicated
    No problem. It is indeed. I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check but as i said your pension is counted as income for any means tested benefits you can claim but it doesn't mean you won't be entitled to them.
Sign in or join us to comment.