Mental Illness Discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Mental Illness Discrimination

Thea Member Posts: 18 Connected
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I suffer from many mental health problems and have been awarded PIP standard rate for both daily living and mobility. I am happy with the decision but they will not acknowledge my selective mutism. They decided I can express verbally communication at all times, but I only communicate verbally with my mother not by choice but due to severe anxiety. I have provided evidence from two different psychologists and even after a mandatory reconsideration it hasn't changed.

In my experience even with doctors and mental health nurses, most of them don't seem to understand it and are rude and suggest it is by choice. I have had selective mutism since I was a young child but I was only diagnosed a year ago at the age of 21 after being sectioned. Why will no one acknowledge my selective mutism?


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Thea, thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, it must have made your outcome bittersweet to not have such a big part of your life acknowledged. 

    You could appeal the decision if you feel that you weren't heard, but since you mention being happy with the outcome, you might not want to pursue that. I'm sure our other members will be able to share their thoughts too!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.