Expenses — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


larnny Member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi there! I wondered if anyone could give me advice about if I need to declare expenses from volunteering. I have been told by one source that expenses do not need to be declared because it is not counted as extra income, it is re-imbursing money already spent. I get esa contributions in the support group and housing benefit too. Thank you for your time. :smile:


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,133 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're claiming ESA any work you do is called permitted work and you need to tell DWP and have permission to do the work, whether you're paid or not.  Have you told DWP that you're working?

    You can earn up to £125.50 per week while doing permitted work and it won't affect any of the benefits you claim. See link.

    However, if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA then it could go against you when you're next re-assessed.

  • larnny
    larnny Member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hi There!

    I hope you are well :)

    I had another benefits question for you...me and my partner are on ESA contributions in the support group and in receipt of housing benefit and PIP. I wondered how my benefits would be affected if I got a new job? I currently work a few hours a week, but I'm thinking of upping this, but still under 16 hours and pay below work allowance earnings. I have been told that any new claim would result in us being moved over to universal credit, which obviously we do't want. Would working extra hours result in a new claim and therefore being moved over to UC?

    Thank you for your time

    Best Wishes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,133 Disability Gamechanger
    If your claiming ESA as a couple then your claim would be income related and not contributions based.

    The work allowance applies to Universal Credit and not ESA. For ESA it's permitted work, which is totally different. If you're the main claimant then you can do permitted work and earn a maximum of £131.50 per week after deductions, working less than 16 hours per week.

    If your partners the main claimant then the rules are different.

    See link i posted above and it explains permitted work rules.
  • larnny
    larnny Member Posts: 14 Connected
    HI Poppy, I hope that you are safe and well :) I have another benefits question for you. I wondered if you are on ESA contributions and are doing permitted work, can you still get a furlough payment from your employer? Thank you for your time.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.