Financial and Benefits help please? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Financial and Benefits help please?

rosa1234567
rosa1234567 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My partner type1 very ill, he is off 5 years off work , he cant pay morgadge , not paid rates, not opening letters, we nearly bankcroped, he not claiming benefits and i dont know what to do?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @rosa1234567
    Financial difficulties can cause so much stress and struggle, I am sorry to hear you are in such a difficult situation.
    It is important to not ignore the problems though, as they won't go away on their own.  There are lots of things you can do to start to look into your financial problems but it may be worth you seeking some help, you can also find the numbers and contact details of lots of debt advisors here:

Debt Advice Foundation

National Debtline

• www.nationaldebtline.org
    • 0808 808 4000
    • National Debtline has helped millions of people with their debts. They'll talk you through options and give clear advice on how to take back control.

Claim all the benefits you’re entitled to

The first thing you can do is to use the benefits calculator to see what you could be entitled to claim.
    Work out your budget Use our Budget planner to work out how much money you have coming in and what you’re spending it on.

The first step to taking control of your money is working out your living costs, including knowing what’s coming in, what’s going out and when.

Making a budget gives you a clear picture of where your money goes and shows you where you might have a chance to save money.

It will also help you see whether you’re living within your means.

For more on budgeting and money management, read our Beginner’s guide to managing your money.

Look at ways to cut costs

Our Quick cash finder will help you see how you can save by cutting out non-essentials.

It can be difficult to increase the amount of money you have coming in, but you have much more control over what goes out.

Research from Santander says, UK households spend an average of £3,329 per year, on their:

• water
    • energy
    • Council tax
    • electricity
    • broadband bills.

You can save hundreds of pounds by switching utility providers and shopping around for lots of things, including your groceries and holidays.

For more information read our guide on How to save money on household bills

I hope some of this is helpful :)

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You say he's your partner, do you live together? if you do then do you work at all, if so how many hours do you work?

Any children?

Does he claim PIP or DLA? It's very difficult to advice with such little information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.