Is there anything I should be claiming? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there anything I should be claiming?

looby58
looby58 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all.  My partner has a good income. I myself had to stand down from my support working job with dementia as I contracted shingles that floored me for 2 years.  I had a minor stroke Nov 2017 and I am now waiting for my rheumatology app on the 4th Dec as my reading was high and pain is now my daily life. I was declined Pip the other year and have no other means of income except my partners. We are not even eligible for tax relief. Does anyone have any advice please. Much appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's extremely difficult to advise on an internet forum without knowing all of your details, like income, do you have children etc.

When was the decision made on the PIP? Did you ask for the MR then Tribunal if that failed? If you didn't why not? PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors.

To be able to claim a Contributions based benefit like ESA then you need to have worked and paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

You say you're not eligible for tax relief? do you mean working tax credits?

You maybe entitled to something from Universal credit but that will totally depend on your circumstances but as UC is means tested benefit then you would claim as a couple.

Do you rent or own your home?

Have you used a benefits calculator and out all of your details into that, it will tell you if you're entitled to any UC or not.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • looby58
    looby58 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to work for a few years now so will not be entitled to ESA. I will try again for PiP which is difficult as the feedback last time was if I can dress myself and move then I am not eligible. Thanks again
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    There's 10 daily living descriptors and 2 mobility ones. It's not just about being able to dress yourself and move. It's not about a diagnosis either, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors. If you don't meet the descriptors you won't score the points. The evidence you send should state exactly how your conditions affect you.

If the decision on the PIP was within the last 13 months then you're still within the time to request the MR and then Tribunal, if that fails.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.