Won PIP tribunal awaiting payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Won PIP tribunal awaiting payment

Options
ked620
ked620 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi All basically my husband had to finish work through poor health, he gradually got worse and last April we applied for PIP .... (it’s not an unknown application to me/us I have a disabled son who was on DLA and now on PIP, he’s been given a life award I think 7 times! But still since he’s been 16 we have to go through a round of interviews forms to be filled in etc, so we know it’s harder to prove something that’s not changed in the 28years and never will! ) anyway my husband got 0 points so we asked for a mandertary review in the meantime we received my husbands medical report when he finished work ... basically saying if he didn’t have a transplant within 5 years! he wouldn’t survive ☹️ My husband had portal vein thrombosis/ oesophageal varies with bleeding/ portal hypertension/ hepatorenal syndrome/ cirrhosis of the liver( Nash-non alcoholic) and alpha-1 antitrypsin  .... he had chronic diarrhoea... chronic tiredness and because of bulging veins had a lot pain and tenderness on stomach .... anyway I will try to cut this short ... they also said nothing has changed at mandertary review(which was October) I took it to the tribunal and upshot was my husbands health deteriorated even more in August he was barely able to walk ... from Christmas in and out of hospital overnight... but from March he was bedbound he was admitted to hospital 15th April and spent 3 months in their this liver was now decompensated (died) which then caused kidney failure.... in between I’m still sending updates to DWP ... anyway in June he was basically sent home to die..... but QE  one of the leading transplant hospitals agreed to assess him .... and he was listed on 26th June for a transplant.... luckily for us ... sadly for the donor he had a call on 4th July and had liver transplant on 5th ( during all this we got the tribunal papers had to opt at time for a paper appeal because we didn’t know where’d we’d be) he’s done amazing and is coming along sadly for him his health is still not 100% his kidneys are still failing and he’s not as acture renal failure... he’s had 4 lots of dialysis during and just after his transplant they thought it was enough looks now like the damage was too bad .... so consultants deciding what step to take next (looking like a kidney transplant) anyway sorry getting distracted I put together all the information we had and all the updates and it was sent to the tribunal .... which we didn’t know was 18th October we then had a letter saying they awarded him standard award and enhanced mobility.... heard nothing from DWP I rang and they said it’s with case worker ! But looking on here I thought oh well it will get paid soon ....on 12th November got a call from DWP asking questions about hospital visits had he been in prison/or carehome  etc asked what it was about and wondering if they wanted to take it to higher tier... then on weds 21st got another letter from tribunal saying DWP had asked to change award to enchanted for care level too .... but still not actually heard from them at all .... the award was to end of April 2019 to be reviewed on my husband health ! 
Again I rang and again it’s with case worker .... I’m just wondering what next step is and if finally he will receive any money ? Got admit it would be handy ... he does get a works pension but with travelling to Birmingham a 2 hour trip for appointments and then waiting up there and 2 hour trip home it was weekly but now ever fortnight.... the money would be a life save ..... and now with kidneys failing because of transplant all treatments will be done in Birmingham.... which we actually prefer ... we kinda feel let down by our local hospital not the care but the way they handled things ! But that’s another story ! Thanks for listening and I just wondered if anyone else had this happen? X

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    You will get backdated payment usually within 8 weeks of tribunal decision the reason they are asking about hospital stays or care homes is that you do not get PIP for any period over a 2 week stay so i presume they are working out how much they owe you.
    Good Luck
  • ked620
    ked620 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much it’s 6 weeks this week so I suppose it will be another 2 weeks.... just seems to be forever.... yes I thought the phone call was that obviously my husband spent 3 months in hospital so we won’t get anything for that .... they’ll be working it out, it just takes so long ! But thanks for the help x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.