PIP removal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP removal

pauline101 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Recently my son has been removed from PIP he received no points even though he has been removed from 3 college courses because he fell to far behind, he went to a special needs school from the age of 7.
He can't prepare food or go out by himself yet a man came in talked to him for 20 minutes & because my son made good eye contact they gave him zero points.
My problem is he was diagnosed at a young age but the specialist never gave a name for his problem
Is there anyone out there can give me advice on this as i am about to appeal the decision.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,386 Disability Gamechanger

    It doesn't matter that he's never had a diagnosis because it's not needed for a PIP claim. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

    The next step is the MR and you have 28 days to request this. You should put the request in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think he should have scored those points. You should give 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he did that activity without assistance or support. For example, why can't he go out alone? What would happen if he did go out alone? If he got lost would he be able to phone anyone for help? What about roads, can he cross roads safely?

    Did you send evidence to support his claim? If so what evidence did you send? It needs to state how his conditions affect him against the PIP descriptors. It doesn't have to be medical evidence.

    I'd advise getting some help from your local welfare rights or law centre. Good luck.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pauline101, and a warm welcome to the community!

    I'm sorry to hear this: it must have been really frustrating for all of you to hear about this. We have some really knowledgeable members here on the community and I see Poppy's already been in touch, so do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can. You may also like to look at Scope's guidance on appealing DWP decisions.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.