Functional Sensory Symptoms — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Functional Sensory Symptoms

bangar321 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in Cerebral palsy

I recently have been diagnosed with Functional Sensory Symptoms. These are symptoms such as burning feet, a buzzing sensation in my limbs, with alot of twitches. There is no real explanation for these symptoms and i am really depressed about it. I have been thinking about jumping in front of a train, but i am getting counselling and i am learning to cope.   

I have been prescribed drugs by the doctors which do not work and wondered if anyone knows any diet changes i can make that could help or any supplements or herbs please? I also get concerned that maybe this is a small fiber neuropathy and the neurologist has mis-diagnosed this. I have had vitamin levels checked, but is there anything else such as antibody profiles that could be tested for check for this?

Thank you for all your help and support everyone. Hope your having a good day and thank you for reading my post. 


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    I’d start with doing a lot of reading and also ask for a second opinion.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bangar321, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm so sorry to hear you've been finding things difficult: it sounds like a tough new diagnosis to adjust to, but I hope it helps to know you're among others who understand here. 

    If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at [email protected]. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself. It's great to hear that you're seeing a counsellor and have some support in place, and do know that you're welcome to talk about your experiences and share your feelings on here too. 

    I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found things that help yet. As we're not medical experts, you should always consult a medical professional involved in your care about any concerns. However, other members are more than welcome to share their experiences, and as Mike says, it may be worth seeking a second opinion or seeing an alternative GP too: sometimes, somebody looking at your situation with fresh eyes can be really helpful. Please do keep in touch and let us know how you get on!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.