Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
How can we get 2 powerchairs into one vehicle
We recently attended our local SMART Centre as my husband who was my main carer has had 5 strokes and therefore like me he has to use a powerchair if we are out and about. We both cannot break down a chair or manually fix it when hoisted into the vehicle. We attended a national mobility vehicle provider and the only option we were offered was the Ford Independence . It took both chairs but a major issue was that neither of us could climb into the van and I am on a restricted driving licence which would prevent me driving such a large vehicle. We have contacted Motability and they have advised me to contact companies myself. The word unique is being bandied around re our situation but I refuse to believe that others have not had and hopefully solved this issue. I'm sorry that this post is so long but any information, advice or signposting to other organisations would be sincerely appreciated.
- 52.9K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 148 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 756 Work and employment
- 574 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 275 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 263 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.1K Talk about money
- 2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 673 Chronic pain and pain management
- 698 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 750 Autism and neurodiversity
- 923 Mental health and wellbeing
- 297 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.