PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

cooking

ereilly26ereilly26 Member Posts: 22 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
hi I cant cook because I have a key switch on my cooker they gave me 2 points for that what dose the forum think  I also have a life line round my neck what dose the forum think

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. Have you applied for PIP and been refused recently?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you be a bit clearer on what you are asking @ereilly26 :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ereilly26ereilly26 Member Posts: 22 Listener
    yes they only gave me 2 points for preparing food and cook a meal but I cant put the cooker on because of the key switch yes it is pip I was turned down for daily living needs
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Sorry, can you explain what a key switch on a cooker is ?
    Is it a gas or electric cooker ?
    If you had a cooker without a key switch what would stop you cooking ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • topshoestopshoes Member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Hi  @ereilly26 welcome ,  i have got one for my cooker , but i dont use it think i got 4 of them , , can put photo on here if someone let me know how you do it, for you to see what it is x
    @topshoes what does the key switch do please? Is it there to stop someone from using the cooker for safety reasons?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Firefly123Firefly123 Member Posts: 525 Pioneering
    My aunt has one it is for safety reasons only her carers can use the key to operate the cooker 
    edited November 2018
    @poppy123456 had to look at them lol ,   any one can turn it on or off , its like turning your tv off at main so there is not a fire , all it is  up to date when they put in new kitchens and rewire places , hope this helps ,
    ereilly26 said:
    yes they only gave me 2 points for preparing food and cook a meal but I cant put the cooker on because of the key switch yes it is pip I was turned down for daily living needs
    As the key switch is for safety reasons, if the switch wasn't there would you be able to prepare and cook a simple meal?

What about the other 9 daily living descriptors? You need to take a look at them to see where else you could score those points.

Ah thanks
    So it would seem that you need supervision to use a conventional cooker, however

c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. points. 2 points

Unless you are unable to use a mircowave other than not having one
    Thanks @topshoes
    edited November 2018
    @poppy123456 there is no key , you just turn it on and red light come on and if you switch it off the red light comes off , power is off then  , any one can turn it on to use cooker or turn it off when finished , yes if turn off no power get to it , it is not any think special , loads of people have got them who got new kitchen and new rewiring ,   
  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Would you be able to use a microwave?  That might have been what they were thinking when they gave you two points.  Did you  get any points for washing or dressing or any of the other things?
    @topshoes there is a key switch for cookers for vulnerable people who are at risk if they use the cooker unsupervised so it prevents them from doing so 
    @topshoes ah ok i'm with you now. It's just a basic switch, thanks for explaining that. :)
    @poppy123456yes yes  it is , thats fine 
    thats not what iv got , but not sure about @ereilly26
    Hi @Firefly123 i think maybe ereilly26 is gas as im electric and mine is called a key switch too 
    I have a  electric cooker it is used so I cant turn on the cooker
     @ereilly26 has it got the light on switch like i said above
    i got 7 points in total for daily care i also have careers come in to times a day
    Yes my Aunts is gas @topshoes just like poppy posted.I've no idea about electric ones  

Did you have help filling the form in @ereilly26 

edited November 2018
    i think @poppy123456 is trying to help you as knows about all the points as i dont  lol
    @Firefly123 yes i know it is hard as well if you not got a photo to let every one know what your on about , but hope we got there in the end lol
    no I did not have help to fill the form in as I am on my own
    The question that has been answered the question that has been asked more than once. As no one can seem to identify what sort of switch this is, can you prepare and cook a simple meal yourself, or do you need assistance or supervision from another person?
    I cant  prepare and cook a simple meal by myself
    ereilly26 said:
    I cant  prepare and cook a simple meal by myself
    You need to explain why you can't do this and what would happen if you did try to do this by yourself. The same for every other descriptor, you need to explain why you can't do that activity.
    hi if I did not have the key switch for the cooker I have set the cooker on fire 2 times as I forget it was on because I have very bad memory I also get careers who come in 3.hours 30 minutes a week to give me tablets as I forget to take them they gave me 1 point for that I got 2 points for washing and bathing 2 points for making budgeting decisions and 12 points for planning and following a journey
    Do you currently have an award? Sorry but i'm confused, i thought you asked about claiming PIP so i assumed you didn't have an award.
    yes I got the high rate of motabilty and 7 points for daily living
    As you already have an award, what exactly is your question? Are you going through a review? or have you reported a change of circumstances? or are you asking because you're thinking of reporting a change of circumstances?
    I want to appeal for the daily living as I had the hight rate of care on dla
  • C_Herath2009C_Herath2009 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    I can completely understand my points(even though i got PIP..)Made nosense to my Parents had no reflection on my Day to Day living -which is complete and utter Chaos (My Mum's discription)But i would NOT (Personally go down this route,this is only MY personal view)I have many friends there situation has deteriated -they re apply end up with less than they started with ?(I have aprox 4 FRIENDS this has happened TO with Physical or Mental illness..)They take it all the way to a Judicial Review ...And get LESS than they have already been awarded...
    PERSONAL oppinion only..If you have an Advocate use them ..You can look them up..
    ADVOCATE look up your local one-I had someone do & Doing all this Mallarkey for me its in Klingon langauge-Don't even go near the form yourself makes no sense ..Unless you turn it upside down!!!😜Sorry still have a sense off Humour or Library one day a week will help us?
    ereilly26 said:
    I want to appeal for the daily living as I had the hight rate of care on dla
    When was the decision made on the PIP award? The more information you give us here, the more someone will be able to help you. It's extremely difficult to help when limited information is given.
    sorry the decision was made last friday
    Firstly, you need to get face to face advice from welfare rights or a law centre near you before you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risks to your current award when you ask for the MR. No one here knows exactly how your conditions affect you and it's impossible to advise further. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR.
    it says on the form that if I get 3 hours 30 minutes a week  of care I can get 1 extra point is that right
    This is for managing therapy at home for example if you need assistance with recommended physiotherapy, having carers come in does not necessarily meet this criterea

c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes no more than 3.5 hours a week.  2 points.

Sign in or join us to comment.