If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

need help on big move

exdxexdx Member Posts: 12 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
hey im on pip and esa at the moment and my brother has offered to rent out his flat to me said my benefits would cover the costs, i am just needing some help on what do i do to get this process moving along and has anyone had any other experience where they have done this and does the benefits people like re test u etc because youve moved house i just need some help on this as ive no idea what to do or what to expect and would be big move to live by himself would like to give it a try


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Do you mean your brother owns the flat and pays the mortgage? if so then...

    You can only get housing benefit in this situation if the council accepts that your tenancy is a commercial one rather than an informal family arrangement.

    The council will want proof of your tenancy, such as:

    • a contract
    • evidence of rent payments

    The council may ask if your relative took a tenancy deposit or provided you with a gas safety certificate before you moved in.

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi exdx
    You May want to check that moving address doesn’t trigger a change of circumstances forcing you to claim Universal Credit.If I’m not mistaken this can happen so I would make all the necessary enquiries first. You don’t want to end up getting stressed just after you move.
    Good luck if you do move tho.
Sign in or join us to comment.