Autism and Aspergers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Transition to Adulthood

sarahaholdensarahaholden Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2018 in Autism and Aspergers
I have a son who has high functioning autism,with anxiety and depression. He is nearly 16 and attends an excellent school for children with complex needs. I am looking at his transition hood and ensuring that he gets the support he needs.


  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Sarah (?) @sarahaholden and a very warm welcome to you. Glad to have you in the community.
    Please don't hesitate to tell us anything more about yourself and your son, or to ask any questions. The better we get to know you, the more easily we may find ways to help you.
    I am glad to hear that you found an excellent school for your son. I worked for 8 or 9 years until my retirement a couple of years ago as a Learning Support Assistant in a high school ASD unit, and I can't say I was much impressed either with our provision or the provision of other schools around us. Inevitably, of course, I fell in love with the children :smile:
    Do be in touch.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Posts: 2,838

    Scope community team

    Good morning Sarah
    Great to meet you and welcome to our community.We have lots members that have been through this phase of life with their children and will advise.
    Also I have found inforation about the National Autism Society. If we can help further do let us know.
    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahaholden, and a warm welcome from me too!

    I wonder if @Zoe_Scope knows of any resources or can offer any guidance here?
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahaholden
    The National Autistic Society have lots of information about transition that might help.  They say:

    Making decisions about what happens after school can be daunting. The earlier you begin thinking about this, the more time you have to discuss it with your child. It's important that professionals keep you and your child involved and that your child's opinions are listened to.
    Your child should be at the centre of any transition planning, this is known as person-centred planning.
    There may be different options and destinations available, such as:
    • further education and training
    You and your child may be entitled to financial supportcommunity care services from your local authority or trust, and other support such as Blue Badges, bus passes and home adaptations. 

    If staying on in education or looking for employment, there will be a number of options available.
    • Further education at college or sixth form gives your child the opportunity to study for a number of vocational, professional and academic qualifications. Websites that offer information on further education and training in ScotlandWales and Northern Ireland can help. In England, your local authority's Local Offer sets out information about provision they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) living in their area.
    • Higher education is study at degree level or above. UCAS offers advice on how to choose a higher education course.
    • Online education provides an opportunity for furthering qualifications without having to attend a school, college or university. This may overcome some of the social barriers young people face when transitioning from school.
    • Traineeships offer a mixture of education and training, designed to equip people with experience and skills ready for employment.
    • Apprenticeships offer paid, on-the-job training in a particular skill or profession.
    • Supported internships are structured study programmes based primarily at an employer for those living in England.
    If your child has an education, health and care plan in England, co-ordinated support plan in Scotland, or statement of special educational needs in Wales and Northern Ireland, you may wish to contact our Education Rights Service for advice on how the plan may be affected by these options.

    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.