Vulnerable people and inaccessible properties — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Vulnerable people and inaccessible properties

Support_worker
Support_worker Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi my name is Gary Leese I am a Community Representative in my local area of Oldham  
I am working on the issues concerning the State of the land and the Properties in the area in which I rent my property these properties are in a Shocking condition and I am helping Residents with Disabilities because the Council and The Housing Association are doing nothing for Disabled residents there is No Disabled access into the Block's of Flats making it difficult for anyone who uses a Wheelchair or a Mobility scooter to access the property. 
Do any of you have any help or advice you can give me.
[mobile number removed by moderator] 
Gary Leese 
Case Support Worker 
Community Representative  

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Support_worker, thanks for sharing this with us and glad to hear you're advocating for better accessibility.

There are some great organisations linked on this Scope page who may be able to help you move things forward. Shelter in particular may be able to offer some useful guidance. Also, this Citizens Advice page details what constitutes discrimination in housing and what services and adjustments landlords and managers must provide.

Hope this helps, and please do let us know how you get on. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Support_worker

I would suggest keeping an eye on the courses provided by Trafford Hall. https://traffordhall.com/

They are inexpensive for what they are, though the courses normally last 2 or 3 days and residential. If there is one you are interested in speak to your landlord who will likely be more than happy to cover the cost of the course for you. 

You used to be able to download a catalogue of their courses, but could not find a link for this, but you could ring them to find out if they still have one or what courses they currently have planned.

I have done several courses there, the accommodation is a little basic, but I have always found the food and training worth the time and money. I am going back in the new year to do another course with them. The last time I was there they did not have wifi in the rooms, but did have an internet suite in one of the rooms in the main building.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.