Advice regarding ESA MEdical — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advice regarding ESA MEdical

leem Member Posts: 2 Listener
I regularly care for a family member who is disabled and has been in receipt of ESA support group for the last 8 years.
He was supposed to attend a F2F medical on Monday 3rd Dec however they called an hour before to cancel which was incredibly lucky because he had not told me about this appointment and clearly was not going to attend. He has mental health issues and does not understand the consequences of actions like not attending these appointments however he has incredible difficulty leaving the house.
I have absolutely no idea how I am supposed to get him to attend this medical as he is incredibly anxious around new people and going to a medical centre surrounded by people is simply not going to be possible.
Iv looked into the possibilities on home visits etc however doctors notes are required for these and its just as impossible to get him to attend a doctors surgery as it is a medical assessment which is a catch 22. I did assist him with filling the ESA50 and I felt it was very thorough and I clearly detailed the difficulties he faces with out outside world and even sent photocopies of his prescriptions to show the medication he is on which in itself should mean he is ineligible for WR activities based on exceptional circumstances. I even wrote in the box that regarding issues with medicals that I would like to request a home visit.
Iv never claimed benefits personally and have no idea how this process works but looking online at the multitudes of terrible experiences people have encountered it has got me incredibly nervous, especially when I hear of people in similar circumstances being awarded no points at all.
Another letter has arrived today with a new appointment for the 21st december first thing in the morning which is also impossible for me due to work.
I have no idea what I should do and am very fearful for his well being, is there anything I can do or will I have to drag him kicking and screaming to this medical assessment and get time off work to attend.


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    Hi @leem, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficulties you and your family member have been facing. It's a tricky situation, but I wonder if there's any advice @Gill_Scope could offer?
  • leem
    leem Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the reply.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi leem,

    This is a very unfortunate situation and one which I fully sympathise with. It appears from your message that your client clearly is unfit for work and work-related activity. Does your client have, or are you able to gather, any medical evidence or medical letters that confirm his problems and how they affect him. This could convince them to do a paper based assessment. Maybe your client could request medicos records from his GP and send them in for a paper based assessment?
    The only way they will do a home visit is if a GP can do a letter advising of his health problems and why he can't travel to the assessment centre. If you can't get him there could you phone the GP surgery and ask for a letter to confirm the above based on his medical history?
    If none of the above is possible then getting him there may be the only option.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.