£243 UC — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

£243 UC

Hello. I started claiming UC a few months ago. They told me I would receive £317 per month.
They gave me one month in advance as I had no money. Therefore they take £26 per month out of my money.
Two months ago my UC was dropped to £243 per month. They said this was because of a child tax credits overpayment. 
Is there anything I can do, as I'm unable to cope on such a small income?
At present, I'm regarded as homeless and "sofa surfing".
My estranged Husband used to deal with benefits, as I suffer from debilitating mental health problem.
  P.S you may notice, I have also posted about PIP.
Kind regards


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,740 Disability Gamechanger

    Unfortunately, the child tax credits payment you received will be deducted from your UC payment. As it was from child tax credits, your next monthly payment will return to normal, minus the £26 per month from the advance payment you received.
  • Dont_cry_for_me
    Dont_cry_for_me Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi Poppy, I think they are going to be taking the £48 CTC for a long time.
      I knew nothing about the debt until I signed on benefits, when my marriage ended.
    I'm finding it very difficult to make ends meet.
    Even the lady from the homeless team at the council is concerned how little I'm getting. She told me they would not help me with a property unless they are sure I would be able to afford.
       My mental health support worker is taking me to the CAB next week for advice and to see what other debts I may have.
       It seems my estranged Husband has been keeping a lot from me.
    Kind regards
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @Dont_cry_for_me, and I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling financially.

    I'm glad you have your support worker to help you advocate, and I hope your CAB appointment helps move things forwards. Please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
  • samneale
    samneale Member Posts: 1 Listener
    I'm in a similar position you can ring the uc over payment line on 08009160647
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @samneale!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.