PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Christmas bonus

sam12sam12 Member - under moderation Posts: 1,347 Pioneering
Low pip i not had my Christmas bonus has anyone had there's 

Replies

• Fight4JusticeFight4Justice Member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Yes, I received £10 on the 7th of December.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not yet.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't think I've had mine. Maybe on Monday 10 Dec when next pension payment is due.
  • YadnadYadnad Member - under moderation Posts: 2,862 Disability Gamechanger
    How old do you have to be to get this and what benefit do you have to be receiving?

My wife had hers last week and she is 75 and claims the highest rate of Attendance Allowance.
    I (70) get no disability benefits and lost our Pension Credit earlier this year.

weaver said:
    hi @Yadnad, I  think you should find all the information you need on website below as I just checked to see if I was entitled. However feel free to correct me anyone if I am wrong. 🌞
    https://www.gov.uk/christmas-bonus/eligibility
    Based on that info I should be getting it also and certainly since my 65th birthday in 2013.

Time for a strongly worded letter of complaint requesting the current payment and £50 to cover the past 5 years!

Thanks for the advice.
  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    @Yadnad; Are you sure you haven't had it?  I can't believe you haven't checked all your accounts forensically.
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Yadnad

Yes I received my £10 bonus on 11 /11/18.

Please please let me know if I can help you with anything???????
  • exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 313 Pioneering
    Yes, I got mine last week, plus my winter fuel allowance a few days before that;

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

edited December 2018
    Tardis said:
    @Yadnad; Are you sure you haven't had it?  I can't believe you haven't checked all your accounts forensically.
    Nope just been through the past 3 years worth of statements and it does not appear. I didn't give it a moment's notice assuming that the £10 my wife has been receiving was for both of us.
    No, you should definitely be getting it yourself.  It wouldn't usually appear as a separate payment.  Just added on to a December payment.  I am surprised you've let that one slip through the net all this time!   
    Tardis said:
    No, you should definitely be getting it yourself.  It wouldn't usually appear as a separate payment.  Just added on to a December payment.  I am surprised you've let that one slip through the net all this time!   
    Mine is always paid separately and so was my daughters last year.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    I'm going to have to check now!  I was probably talking nonsense!
    Tardis said:
    Well if it was added to my PIP or the Pension Credit in previous years I would not have noticed. It's not such an amount that would stand out. But why then does my wife get hers paid separately?

• sam12sam12 Member - under moderation Posts: 1,347 Pioneering
    I have to ring them about it
    Mad not getting my 10 quid i chase it up
    sam12 said:
    Mad not getting my 10 quid i chase it up
    It's only the 9th December and you could receive the £10 anytime in December.
  • Firefly123Firefly123 Member Posts: 522 Pioneering
    Two of my 3 has got theirs one over a week ago and the other yesterday and yes it paid separately from their DLA and Pip and I get a letter informing me it's their Christmas bonus 
    I just checked ours.  Last year it was added to the normal payments of DLA and Carers.  This year my Carers payment is added on, but my younger child's PIP bonus came separately.  So, could be either way!
  • gerrys6gerrys6 Member Posts: 106 Connected
    I just received my 10 pound bonus seperately and I don’t get my p I p until the 1 st jan 2019 don’t understand why it wasn’t added on top of that payment which I’m assuming I’ll get on the 31st my daughters d l a was added onto hers on 8 th December why was mine not how very baffling 
    gerrys6 said:
    I just received my 10 pound bonus seperately and I don’t get my p I p until the 1 st jan 2019 don’t understand why it wasn’t added on top of that payment which I’m assuming I’ll get on the 31st my daughters d l a was added onto hers on 8 th December why was mine not how very baffling 
    I wouldn't worry because you've received it now.
  • gerrys6gerrys6 Member Posts: 106 Connected
    I’m not worried about the ten pound bonus I was more thinking why haven’t they just added it to the Payment of the p I p next payment 
    They didn't with my daughter either, hers was paid separately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    I just asked about mine while I was on the phone asking if they'd received my review forms (they have), I get mine tomorrow with my ESA.
    Ok i got mine to Last wk
  • JaculinJaculin Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited June 2019
    Does anyone think like me that the £10 "Christmas bonus" is an insult? I remember my Mum getting it LAST CENTURY and it was £10 then!! Why hasn't it been increased per inflation, even just once in a while?

"When it was launched by Ted Heath's Tory government in 1972, the bonus paymentwas worth £98 in today's money. The £10 Christmas boost was then worth more than the £6.75 basic state pension" 
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Pensioners-10-Christmas-bonus-is-same-as-four-decades-

• Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    I’ll be honest, I’m surprised they haven’t gotten rid of it completely! Not saying I think they should, but very surprised they haven’t.
    It helps with the cost of Christmas even at just £10, a little something extra on the table or a small gift. £10 can still go a long way!!
    It is crazy to think it’s been the same for that long though
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 965 Disability Gamechanger
    Hart86 said:
    I’ll be honest, I’m surprised they haven’t gotten rid of it completely!

@hart86 - do you mean get rid of Christmas, or just the £10 bonus?

The £10 bonus was introduced as a gimmick to boost the popularity of the then government.  It wasn't intended to be a 'benefit' to be uprated.  Same with the current £200 heating allowance.  This will never be uprated and in 50 years' time will be worth peanuts, of course.
    cristobal said:

@hart86 - do you mean get rid of Christmas, or just the £10 bonus?

Both! 😂😂
    But mainly the bonus. I’m surprised they’re still doing it.
    I agree @ilovecats! I think @Jaculin has an interesting point and it’s odd it hasn’t ever been increased but I think £10 is appropriate, it can still go quite far, it isn’t meant to offset the whole cost of Christmas. If anything it highlights how generous they were back when it was introduced!! 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    Whhhhhhhhaaaattttt? 😁 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • FitznspatzFitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    The £10 bonus was introduced in 1972. Adjusted for inflation, that equates to £130 today. When introduced it was equivalent to 1.5 times the basic state pension. On that basis the Christmas bonus should now be £252.
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 965 Disability Gamechanger
    Just wondering if it's a bit early for this?

They haven't even got the Christmas lights up yet where I live, and there are no mince pies in Tesco...
    Won’t be long until they do though @cristobal 🤣😂
  • FitznspatzFitznspatz Member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Mornings start getting darker on Tuesday. It’s downhill to Christmas after that!
    Not Christmas yet 
    It was a gimmick.  Would have cost governments a lot of money to update - so they didn't update.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did remove it altogether - after all, they plan to remove  free T V licences for many over 75s
    I b busy later setting up new moblie replacement mine faulty. Got better deal new model as mine wasn't avail to replace lol
    UK are cheap skates only treat other countries before us 
    My foot weight a ton. Am getting sleep
Sign in or join us to comment.