PIP and Esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP and Esa

My wife in receiving both elements of PIP , higher rates and this was awarded 2 years ago for a period of  10 years. She has MS and had been paid long term sick by her employers for the last 3 and a half years and paid NI contributions. She is to receive severance from her employers shortly and finished up. Will she automatically be eligible for contributions based ESA as she has already been assessed under the PIP criteria, without further interviews etc.

Thank you in anticipation



  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Johnny and welcome

    Unfortunately ESA and PIP are separate benefits, there is no automatic eligibility 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • JohnnyT
    JohnnyT Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for you kind words Mr Rebel.

    Do you think my wife will need assessing medically again or will they be content to rely on the PIP medical assessment. It seems mad to arrange a further assesment when she was fully assesed recently for PIP and received a "lifetime", or now 10 year award.
    I am wondering if the trauma my wife would go through would be worthwhile.


    Johnnyt (Northern Rebel)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    the criteria for each, although they seem similar, are different. So, sorry to say that a new assessment will be required. The best I can offer is to take the self test and supply as much relevant evidence as possible
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,186 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming Contributions based ESA will also depend on her NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years. You'll also need to check what's in your area, if it's a full universal credit area then it's new style ESA she needs to claim.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @JohnnyT!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.