Can I claim if I have Rheamatoid arthritis any1 been successful — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I claim if I have Rheamatoid arthritis any1 been successful

ash1234 Member Posts: 1 Listener

Can I claim if I have Rheamatoid arthritis any1 been successful 0 votes

Pip or something


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,512 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018

    PIP and ESA are completely different benefits and neither of them are awarded based on a diagnosis.

    PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors and you can't compare 2 people with the same condition. We're all affected differently.

    ESA is for those with a limited capability for work. Claiming this will totally depend on your circumstances. Also if your area is a full Universal credit area you won't be able to claim it, unless you're wanting to to Contributions based ESA. With no information giving from you about your circumstances then it's impossible to advise further on this. I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for the ESA/UC advice.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ash1234, and a warm welcome to the community!

    You've had some great starting guidance from Poppy above. You may also be interested in this benefits overview on the Scope page. Have a read, and do feel free to come back to us with any further questions.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.