Pip Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment

Reeneroo1980
Reeneroo1980 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi Everyone And Merry Christmas 

I've had my pip assessment report and I'm wondering how do you know if you've been awarded points on mobility? By the looks of things I've been awarded 12 points for Living but don't know how to find out about mobility. It's says I scored 0 for planning and following journeys is that the mobility part? It's so confusing 

Please any help would be amazing. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Reeneroo1980, and a warm welcome to the community!

Well done on getting through your assessment and getting your report so promptly. Hopefully some of our members will be able to help, but in the meantime you may find this PIP table of descriptors helpful.
  • Reeneroo1980
    Hi pippa thank you I've just looked at the descriptors and apparently I scored 4 for mobility But I'm dumbfounded at why only 4 I've looked at what the nurse put about it and she has lied about nearly all the mobility. (Typical) 
  • Deb21
    Deb21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    To score high for mobility it’s mainly to do with how for you can walk without being in extreme pain. The shortest distance scores higher points. I hope this makes 
     sense ? 
  • Reeneroo1980
    Hi deb21

ive just read and it seems I've scored 12 points all in all so doesn't that mean what am understanding 8 for living and 4 for mobility? 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, getting your report to read can be an interesting reading as to what your award maybe. From your post it looks as if you’ll get enhanced for daily living and nothing for the mobility part. As for the mobility part how did you fit regarding the PIP descriptors regarding mobility? At your acessment the acessor May have aske you questions about your daily living activities and was able to make a decision on your mobility issues from the answers you gave in regard to planning a journey. Acessment Centers have CTV cameras inside and outside the centers and the acessors know the distance from the nearest car parks, bus stops ect and from the waiting rooms to their acessment room so you are being observered before during and after your acessment.
  • Deb21
    Deb21 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    That doesn’t sound right. It seems very low. It should be split in 2 sections one for care and one for mobility & each should have a score for all the questions you answered. The amount of money which has been awarded should show which rate you have been given xx
  • Reeneroo1980
    edited December 2018
    Hi @wilko

On the assessment report it says I was observed to walk 20 metres in 26 seconds (46 metres per minute) 

Therefore it is likely she can stand and move more than 50 metres but no more 200 metres.

so I was given 4 points for the 50 metres but no more than 200

The rest of the points are for the living which was 8. But she lied about my planning and following journeys also Making budgeting decisions And my mental health Also my Engaging with others face to face grrrrrrrr

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    IIRC the 'reliability'[ test says that you should be able to complete a task in no less than half the time that an unimpaired person would take.

A generally recognised average walk is 3MPH....1.33m/sec.

So your 26 second sprint into the interview (!) at .75m/sec is within this.

Not certain where the conclusion that someone can walk up to 200 by watching  them walk 20m comes from. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • Reeneroo1980
    Hi @Deb21
    I haven't received my award notice yet I'm going off my assessment report which I received today sorry for getting you confused xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    cristobal said:
    IIRC the 'reliability'[ test says that you should be able to complete a task in no less than half the time that an unimpaired person would take.

Not certain where the conclusion that someone can walk up to 200 by watching  them walk 20m comes from. Anyone else have any ideas?
    This is a new one. I wonder if the stop watch that the assessor has used has been calibrated?

How on earth can you argue with that evidence.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Deb21
    I haven't received my award notice yet I'm going off my assessment report which I received today sorry for getting you confused xx
    use this PIP self test by putting all the ticks/dots in the boxes into the self test. At the end of the test it will tell you what score has been recommended.

You'll have to wait for the decision but if you disagree then i'd advise you to get face to face advice before asking for the MR. No one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risk to any award you may have.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:
    cristobal said:

This is a new one. I wonder if the stop watch that the assessor has used has been calibrated?

How on earth can you argue with that evidence.
    In my case IIRC it was 3 metres in 5 seconds...obviously the capacity for error in either measurement is massive!

As I mentioned in my earlier post it seems that 3mph is generally recognised as average walking pace. Not sure if DWP have a particular figure???

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Generally accepted walking parameters

Fast walking            90 meters/min
    slow walking            60 meters/min
    very slow                 45meters /min

The assessors opinion does not appear to take into account whether this distance can be repeated and if so whether and how long a rest would be required in between. Even if you had been observed walking 50 meters but then could not repeat this distance without a significant rest then the 20-50 meter descriptor does not apply and the 1-20 meter despriptor should be recommended

Assessors often choose to overlook the standards of doing any activity

Safely
    Repeatedly
    To an acceptable standard
    In a timely manner

You are not required to perform any activity without pain but any pain you do feel should be taken into consideration

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Generally accepted walking parameters

Fast walking            90 meters/min
    slow walking            60 meters/min
    very slow                 45meters /min

The assessors opinion does not appear to take into account whether this distance can be repeated and if so whether and how long a rest would be required in between. Even if you had been observed walking 50 meters but then could not repeat this distance without a significant rest then the 20-50 meter descriptor does not apply and the 1-20 meter despriptor should be recommended

Assessors often choose to overlook the standards of doing any activity

Safely
    Repeatedly
    To an acceptable standard
    In a timely manner

You are not required to perform any activity without pain but any pain you do feel should be taken into consideration

Obviously not. Mind you I can't see how they could actually assess the standards without carrying out a mobility test.

However the local authorities do actually carry out such a test for the Blue Badge applications, generally in a car park to establish the distance walked, how the walk was and when and for how long a break was taken before attempting a further walk.

My wife had to undergo one recently for her Blue Badge renewal and failed miserably but not for walking or the lack of it but how she managed to get out of a borrowed car and walk towards the assessor. The assessor made a point of asking how she managed to get in/out/drive such a low car. From memory she told the assessor that she had to fall in it and fall out of it.

• Reeneroo1980
    Hi guys sorry for the late response I couldn't  type yesterday do to having eye drops. Thank you for all your advice and I'll let you all know what the decision is. 
  • Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Best of luck I sent off for my report on Monday so anxiously waiting to see it (I'm mentally prepared for worst case scenario a former homeless person can't get worse!) Keep us posted.
  • Reeneroo1980
    Thank you @Spibes
    Its proper nerve wrecking I hope you had a nice assessor and they haven't lied about anything. Mine lied about nearly everything it's soooo frustrating and my pet hate is liars. And what gets me is what would happen if a relative had an assessment and there assessor lied about them (Karma)

let us know whats said and I keep you updated on my outcome ?
  • Spibes
    Spibes Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Thank you appreciate that so much, same here liars get to me just anxiously awaiting that PA4 report in the post now. 

Will keep you posted and fingers crossed for you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.