Forced onto UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Forced onto UC

Abbey7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Due to an unforeseen change in circumstances I have to apply for UC as I am in a full service area. I have been on the old legacy benefit income support and am a full time carer for my sister since 2006 when my parents passed away. Because I have moved into a full UC area from a different borough I was forced onto UC to claim housing benefit.
following my calculations the full carers allowance is taken off a month on UC after my income support and housing benefit is calculated. How can this be allowed. I have two children and care for my sister who has been disabled from birth. I can not afford to pay my rent or buy food I’m £279 short a month from when I was on the legacy benefit. Can someone please help me.


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,176 Scope online community team
    Good to meet you and welcome to our community. I'm sorry to read that you are going through this right now. I'm going to tag in @BenefitsTrainingCo to our conversation. I will also include some information from the Citizen's Advice Bureau 
    Scope also has a helpline that you can call on 0808 800 3333
    We are a very supportive community, you are not alone.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger

    As you claimed UC then your Income support should have stopped and this payment will be in with your UC monthly payment.

    Carers allowance will be deducted from your UC just like it was deducted from your Income support. Carers allowance then pay you that money and UC should add a carers element of £156 per month. You can't be paid the carers allowance twice, which is why it's deducted from your UC/Income support.

    Your housing element should also be added to your UC payment and also the child elements.

    You need to take a look at your online journal to see exactly what elements you're receiving.
  • Abbey7
    Abbey7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am going for my ID appointment today. So what you are saying is that I get a carers element but no longer qualify for carers allowance. 
    My total calculation for UC shows a deduction of £279 for earned income. I was on income suppprt and receiving carers allowance. 
    I have two children age 9 and 17 full time education and I am a carer for my disabled sister.
    my eldest son who is 21 had a recent mental break down resulting in psychosis. I had no choice but to move to care for him as the area I was living in was a contributing factor. 
    I have moved out of a housing association property into a private rented as it was the only one available with a downstairs toilet for my disabled sister. 
    I am having to claim UC because I am applying for housing benefit being in a full UC area I have had no choice but to apply.
    if someone who understands UC in regards to how it will affect me I will really appreciate it. I am currently caring for two people having no sleep and taking care of two children. I am a single parent. 
  • Abbey7
    Abbey7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I understand what you are saying in regards to UC deductions in regards to the same affect as it is for income support. 
    What I am asking is the £279 that is taken off is that the carers allowance that I will still receive separately. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes the £279 that being deducted is for the carers allowance but they should be adding a carers element to you UC which is £156 per month. So, for being a carer you'll be £156 per month better off and not £279 per month worse off.

    As you're privately renting then you'll need your tenancy agreement to be able to claim the housing element, if you haven't already sent that in.

    As you're going for your ID appointment today i'm assuming you haven't received your first months payment yet? There's at least a 5 week wait for your first money. Any money you receive from Income support and tax credits in the meantime will be deducted from your UC too. Both of those payments will stop very soon and all your money will become 1 monthly payment under UC.

    Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed separately from your local council. Child benefit will be paid as normal.

    Another thing to be aware of for the future. As you have a child who's 17 and still in full time education then if they're still in full time education when they reach 19 your child element for them will stop in the August after their 19th birthday. It's not like child tax credits where it's paid until their 20th birthday if they remain in full time non advanced education.
  • Abbey7
    Abbey7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you very much for that information. You are incredibly informed. I have been loosing my mind in relations to how I was going to afford the bills rent and food. My sister needs full 24 hour round the clock care bathing cleaning feeding. She is totally dependent on me. 
    My son has recently been taken very ill and I am having to care for him as well as coping with the move. Any support or help is very much appreciated 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome. UC really is awful. I'm sorry you're going through all this. Have you thought about a carers assessment to see if there's some help out there for you?
  • Abbey7
    Abbey7 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    What is a carers assessment?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.