what do you do to pass the time? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what do you do to pass the time?

blue_zebra
blue_zebra Community member Posts: 74 Connected
A poll to gain a positive perspective on what is available to us and that can help us not only pass the time but distract us from pain, thoughts, feelings and anxieties. Hopfully it will offer an overview of what makes us happy and give opportunity for others to discover what might be beneficial to them. 

Sorry only 10 allowed so wilted it down. 

?  @blue_zebra ?
Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

what do you do to pass the time? 26 votes

Arts and crafts modelling, card making etc
23%
Sam_AlumniApril2018momAilsspobretpollyanna1052Grinchy 6 votes
Sports inc. wheelchair friendly
0%
Music/singing/performing
7%
M_AnthonySparklebright 2 votes
Mindfullness/meditating/yoga
3%
Tom_Scope 1 vote
Reading/writing/drawing
15%
Chloe_ScopeAdrian_ScopeCressidaelle_t 4 votes
Computing/gaming
11%
PaulLamb5gillyfrog66Mustang 3 votes
Baking
3%
XenasMum 1 vote
Floristry
0%
Animals/nature/wildlife
15%
deb74focuswheeliegrankaiasparrow 4 votes
Chatting/ other....
19%
GeoarkCockneyRebelfeirAmi2301debbiedo49 5 votes

Comments

• blue_zebra
    Feel free to explain and explore what these activities may include. The idea is to help others see positive ways to do things that they enjoy. Also please add your own below if yours isn't listed (I was limited to 10). 

?  @blue_zebra ?
    Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Chatting/ other....
    I could only tick one option.
  • blue_zebra
    Thats ok, feel free to elaborate on what you like to do and how it helps if you wish. 

?  @blue_zebra ?
    Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I like sewing, knitting, crocheting.  I also have an allotment (though there are lots of times when Im too ill to work in it).  I read a lot, and watch movies and boxsets :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Chatting/ other....
    When I am well enough I teach a range of practical skills, from how to wire a plug, decorating, wood work, car maintainance and repair, jewelry making, welding. I used to teach church bell ringing but seldom now as I can't climb the bell tower  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • XenasMum
    XenasMum Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Baking
    I put baking but also enjoy crafting and am hoping to relearn crocheting after watching Kirstie's handmade Christmas 
    I've always been a movie addict so now I'm less mobile I do watch quite a few. My biggest problem is motivation but once I'm started it comes much easier. 
  • blue_zebra
    Thanks for your input everyone some fabulous ideas here and sounds great fun!  I wish there was more for the disabled community to get involved in. If love to do wheelchair dance myself but nobody local. 

?  @blue_zebra ?
    Community Champion 

&

♿️?? EDSWarrior ??♿️

• wheeliegran
    wheeliegran Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Animals/nature/wildlife
    I have no idea if this is still going. I could only tick one option but I also like crafts, sewing and spending time with my family and my husband and our two dogs. I do wish there were social places to meet other disabled folk during the day. 

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I could only tick one option too, so have arts & crafts as my top hobby.  I enjoy knitting, reading, cooking, Tai Chi and have an interest in animals, especially my cat.  :smiley:   Thanks for posting this interesting poll @blue_zebra.

@wheeliegran, do you have a Social Connector or Community Adviser in your area?  When we moved to a new area I got in touch with one through Social Services who was great at putting me in touch with various clubs/societies operating in my area through the day.  Also here are some links to organisations who run clubs/groups for disabled people:-

https://www.phab.org.uk/

https://www.ableize.com/disabled-groups-and-clubs-by-county/

I hope you find these useful.  :smile:

Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • wheeliegran
    Animals/nature/wildlife
    @Ails I have lived here for forty years and pretty much know everything as we have a What's On in our area...it's being up to travelling at specific dates and times and actually being up to it to. Sometimes I'm confined to the house or bed for anything from a day to months. I prefer a few people to a crowd and like to be flexible. It's surprising how many friends you lose becoming disabled isn't it.
    I'd just like a friend or two or three to have a coffee and a chat with who I share the same interests with as well as having different ones to heighten our conversations...I can't be tied to certain days or dates so find making friends difficult
  • Ails
    Hi @wheeliegran, I'm sure you do know everything that is going on in your area if you have lived there 40 years.  It's a long time!  I know the feeling of not being up to travelling at specific dates/times as my pain can dictate that too and sometimes don't get out to knitting group, etc.  Yes, you can lose friends being disabled which is a shame.  I can't think of anything else at the moment, but if I do then I will post or maybe one of our members or community team maybe able to come up with ideas to help.  I hope you find what you are looking for anyway.  All the best.  :smile:
  • wheeliegran
    Animals/nature/wildlife
    @Ails Aw thank you so much. It's just one of those things hatbox maybe one day I'll be lucky and meet a new friend.  :) Until then hubby, my family and my dogs are all my best friends  :D
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love art. I also enjoyed dance and trampolining lessons as a child. What hobbies do you enjoy doing? 
  • Ails
    You are welcome @wheeliegran and that is a lovely attitude to have.  :smiley:
  • PaulLamb5
    PaulLamb5 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Computing/gaming
    I never have enough hours in the day,DIY ,gardening,reading,cooking,cleaning and movies.phew!!!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading/writing/drawing
    I love writing my blog but I also enjoy things like crocheting :) 
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Went to the library yesterday to see the art books. I used to do sewing and bead work as a child might start that soon.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering

Arts and crafts  
     Sports (cycling only in the summer, roller skating) 
     Reading books about health lifestyle, natural medicine, healing/ Mindfullness /meditating/yoga Nidra 
     Writing poems, painting 
    Baking/ cooking and constantly looking for new recipe or creating my own recipe for example suitable for vegetarian 
    Chatting
    To distract the brain from thinking about pain I try to switch the biochemistry of hormones in my body by watching stand ups, comedy clubs shows in my native language or romantic movies. I try to watch something funny so my body produce more "happy hormones" . 

• mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    I watch a lot of you tube videos its a great resource and a way connect to others world wide. it can get a bit hectic and brutal in the comments section, best to stay clear of the comments and focus on the topic of the videoes.
    i also have found a way to do free online courses with an organisation called WEA I have enrolled but not started an online astronomy course. i will keep my eyes on the stars and not gazing at my navel and feeling sad. 
    also audiobooks are a lifesaver.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Computing/gaming
    Posting on forums
    Games on the computer
    Youtube videos of Top Gear, QI, comedies etc.
    I am looking at doing some study

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.