getting help from social care

ruff300 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I have a very good friend who has learning disabilities . unfortunately she did not get a definitive diagnosis when she was much younger but she did go to kingswood hoe school in sussex rd colxhester, Now she needs help with care needs , new accomadation and help to manage her type 2 diabetes due to having spinal cord comptression. I feel like im being pushed from pillar to post trying to get help for her. If someone could please advise I would be internally gratefull.


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,615 Scope online community team
    @Zoe_Scope could help?

    We also have a helpline 0808 800 3333.

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,635 Championing
    Hi @ruff300

    For your friend to get access to soclal support, the support offered to you will be decided through a ‘needs assessment’, carried out by your local authority. What you need in terms of care and support, healthcare and housing should all be considered as part of this assessment.

    If you believe you need support, the first thing you should do is contact your local authority and request a needs assessment. Your local authority will be the local council in your area with a social services department. This could be a city council, county council or borough council. Find your local authority.

    Your local authority has a legal duty to carry out an assessment if it appears you may need social care services. It is a low threshold to trigger the duty to carry out an assessment – the local authority should just look at whether there is any realistic prospect that you may need services, and if so you should be given an assessment.

    The Care Act has introduced national minimum eligibility criteria. This means there is now a national minimum threshold at which people are entitled to support.

    To have eligible needs, your needs must be caused by or related to a physical or mental impairment or illness. Whilst this is not the sort of language we would use, a learning disability is considered a mental impairment.

    As a result of your needs, you must be unable to do two or more of the following things:

    • Manage and maintain nutrition.
    • Maintain personal hygiene.
    • Manage toilet needs.
    • Be appropriately clothed.
    • Be able to make use of your home safely.
    • Maintain a habitable home environment.
    • Develop and maintain family or other personal relationships.
    • Access and engage in work, training, education or volunteering.
    • Make use of necessary facilities in your local community, including public transport and recreational facilities.
    • Carry out any caring responsibilities you have for a child.
    • Because of the above there is, or is likely to be, a significant impact on your wellbeing.

    The definition of the word “unable” in above is important. The Care Act states that “unable” to do something actually means that without help, you would be in “significant pain, distress or anxiety”, or it would take you significantly longer.

    If your needs are “eligible” for support under the criteria above, the local authority must meet those needs.

    This information comes from Mencap - there is lots more information over on their website here.