ESA underpayment continued — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA underpayment continued

belgiumbun Member Posts: 12 Listener
Hi my partner passed in Nov 17 recently i received a letter as her next of kin saying she was potentially under payed i did the form over the phone with a lady who said it was taking 12 weeks and that i would receive another form  this came it was a br 330 ibrs rather strange form asking who paid for the funeral where my wife died  and who was responsible for her estate i  think the strangest question was why did i think or consider myself entitled to her underpayment i found this odd as it was them who had contacted me a few weeks prior as her next of kin the letter said she was entitled to ESA 1 it made no mention of the amount involved at this stage it also said if i did not wish to claim the money that was okay but if i did i must do so asap as said a rather odd form ,

Obviously this is slightly different as my partner bless her soul is passed however what i feel is a shame in searching this subject is the lack of knowledge on the situation after a payment i have heard these payments are only to be disregarded for income purposes savings limit  for a year by the  powers that be with regards to income and savings is this true and is this true in regards to where a next of kin receives money quite how they can consider it beyond me as the money is a underpayment which should have been received anyway in normal payment its a bloody disgrace to class it as income in the normal form .

Does anyone know if compensation is in place for those who have paid prescriptions had dental work etc that they would not have paid for if properly assessed for ESA ? 



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.