Pain Management Clinic — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pain Management Clinic

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I went to a hospital three hours away for a clinic. Turned out to be a discussion only with a PA (Physician's Assistant). All he talked about was narcotics - I take one. He asked me if I gave away or sold mine.

I was highly insulted and think I will report him. Doctors here are terrified to prescribe narcotics, and many people suffer unnecessarily because of that.

Is this true in the UK? 

Comments

• clp
    clp Community member Posts: 39 Connected
    No not so much.  They are worried you may travel up the pain ladder as opiates become less effective over time so you want a higher dose but they will work with you.  I am on zomorph - long acting morphine and oramorph - liquid short acting morphine and I am not treated any differently to anyone else.  On top of this I have valium for now and again muscle spasm use.  We can also buy codeine and paracetamol or ibuprofen over the counter.  I was asked for this at a Walmart pharmacy and immediately felt like I was an addict.  However we don't have antibiotic ointment, fexofenadine or naproxen over the counter so swings and roundabouts... I keep up to date on the opiate debate in US but think it's the nature of the system.  In the UK GPs are monitored very closely in their prescribing on an national basis so outliers are spotted quickly so we don't get the problem of pill mills.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.