I had a capability work assessment, what's the usual waiting time? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had a capability work assessment, what's the usual waiting time?

Options
chrissie85
chrissie85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
H I am wondering if anyone can help us. I had to come out of work in July to look after my partner and my sons, Because I was working my partner was getting support ESA. U.C was new to our area so when I came out of work I had to apply. We rang ESA and they said that because I am not working we are now entitled to income related ESA but because we have moved over to U.C. we cannot claim income related ESA. So it is deducted from our claim. We rang both U.C. and ESA but have not been able to get anywhere. 
The advice given was to drop our esa claim which means doing without the esa or going through the whole process again. 
I had an capability to work assessment I was also wondering what the usual waiting time is. 
I am very grateful for any help or advice given to us as this whole process is so confusing. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a little confused by your post, sorry.

A work capability assessment is for those with a limited capability for work because of a disability/illness. As you say you had to stop work because you're looking after your son and your partner then based on what you said above then you may not qualify for this. Does your partner or son claim a disability benefit like PIP or DLA?

As you were previously working then i'm assuming your partner was receiving contributions based ESA? am i correct?

Have you applied for UC as a couple yet?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrissie85
    chrissie85 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Sorry, this part confused me myself.  because I have ongoing health issues myself. My doctor gave me a sickline then They put me through the work capability assessment. 
    My partner receives PIP and contributions based ESA. 
    We applied for U.C. in September. I had my assessment for capability to work in November. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you've already had your face to face assessment you can request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely yo be as they mostly go with the recommendations in the report.

Waiting times for decisions depend on backlog in your area.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chrissie85, and a warm welcome to the community! I hope the above guidance is helpful, and please do feel free to come back to us with any further questions.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.