Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My husband has Osteoporosis, i think he will need a wet room

mykezzamykezza Member Posts: 2 Listener
My husband has osteoporosis  and can't make it upstairs or in the downstairs shower I think he may need a wet room 


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,428 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mykezza welcome to the community and your husband too!

    Has your husband been seen by a Occupational Therapist to determine what he needs?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering
    Hi @mykezza

    Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, I have been away from the office.

    Unless you intend to fund your home adaptations yourself the first step is going to be contacting the Community Occupational Therapy Team, which is part of your local authority. They will assess your husbands needs and decide on how they think they can be met by the most reasonable and cost effective method. Depending on your circumstances it is possible that the adaptations may be funded via a Disabled Facilities Grant: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/disabled-facilities-grant

    Some people who have access to the financial means decide to self fund adaptations to their home. This is often quicker and gives them more control over what happens. However, even if you are self funding if would be advisable to seek the advice of an OT about what is needed. If you don't want to wait on the Community OT it is possible to commission the services of an OT in private practice:  https://rcotss-ip.org.uk/find

    Please do post again if you have any other specific questions

    Best Wishes

    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.