UC and tenants in common — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC and tenants in common

PostmanPat Member Posts: 7 Listener
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi All,
Untill last week i lived with my partner, I was her carer ( carers allowance) and she claimed standard daily living and enhanced mobility, all going well but sometimes as relationships do , they break down and she has left the property we shared , my Question is as we were Tennants in Common , ie she inherited some cash and put it into  my mortgage.

my ex seems to believe that if she was/went/had to on UC they might pay her housing costs, or my question will it affect the amount she could claim on UC Due to her actually owning half a property.............admittedly not living in it
She works from home very small business earning 80 p/w

I am asking my dads solicitor about this  too , but wondered if anyone here knew the answer

Thanks all in advance


  • PostmanPat
    PostmanPat Member Posts: 7 Listener
    oops i feel i havnt posted this in correct section sorry guys
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @PostmanPat Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and your question.

    I am one of the team of community champions. Who advise and help new members.

    I do not know the answer to your question. There will be members of our community or a member of our team who will know.

    May I suggest speak to CAB about this. Might be something to consider. You want the right information and right answers..

    Hope that helps.

    Please ask if we can advise on anything. Some one will know.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.