can a vehicle tax exemption be back dated? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can a vehicle tax exemption be back dated?

Options
barbaramal75
barbaramal75 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Does anyone know if you can back date a vehicle tax exemption, my son has had higher level mobility since Aug last year but I didn't realise I could claim it until now? Ty

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you apply for your car tax using the excemption form the DVLA will normally refund any car tax refund from the award date. For an example, your car tax was due in April 2018 your award is dated July 2018 and you realised you get full or half rate discount then when you renew your car tax or you phone DVLA you will or should be refunded from April 2019 to July 2018 the date of your award. But to be 100% sure phone DVLA who will help you through the process.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    wilko said:
    When you apply for your car tax using the excemption form the DVLA will normally refund any car tax refund from the award date. For an example, your car tax was due in April 2018 your award is dated July 2018 and you realised you get full or half rate discount then when you renew your car tax or you phone DVLA you will or should be refunded from April 2019 to July 2018 the date of your award. But to be 100% sure phone DVLA who will help you through the process.
    What you are saying is that the log book would be amended not from the date of application but from an earlier date being when the exemption applied? When I had my own car from 1995 to 2011 I had a valid DLA High Mobility award from 1995 to 2004. I knew nothing about this exemption so continued to tax it as normal. Thankfully this avoided a problem when I didn't renew the DLA award in 2004 until 2011.

I doubt it because if that was the case you could have claims for repayment going back years. I do believe that when the application to have the log book changed to the disabled class that is when the car becomes exempt.
    Any tax paid as a result of the car being in the PLG class even if you can prove that it should never have been paid is lost money.

Yes check this up with the DVLA - they are the authority on this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,995 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    You also need to bare in mind that the car can then only be used for the purpose of the disabled person.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.