worried about PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

worried about PIP decision

SAMandCHARLEY
SAMandCHARLEY Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
HI.  i am 69 and have been on disability for yrears and they told me then i would be on it for life because my condition would get worse and it has, now i had to have a woman come to see me to access me for this pip thing now i am so scared they are going to knock me of disability and give me nothing, so i got the report and it looks like double dutch so i cant tell whether its good or bad because i dont know what i am looking for, i am so scared of the decision

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Somewhere in the back of the report there should be boxes with dots. These are what the health care professional would have recommended you score during the assessment. You need to look at the PIP descriptor to add up what you may have scored, if anything. You can do this using the PIP self test here. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

All you need to do is put the dots in the same place on the self test as they are in the report. At the end the self test will add up any score you may have.

The usually go with the report, it's rare to go against it. You will need to wait for a decision of course. Once a decision is made your DLA will stop 4 weeks later. If successful with the PIP then your PIP starts 4 weeks after that. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thank you so much for your reply, but i have looked at it again and there are no dots anywhere only the boxes she ticked
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I really do hope that you have a better time of the PIP conversion than I did.
    I'm 70  and for the past 5 years I have had 3 PIP face to face assessments that resulted in no points, no award.
    This was despite being on DLA (High Mobility/High Care) since 1995.
    Like you my health is only going one way and that is downwards. Most of what is wrong with me will eventually kill me well before my time.

• poppy123456
    Thank you so much for your reply, but i have looked at it again and there are no dots anywhere only the boxes she ticked
    It's those ticks you need to look at against the PIP descriptors in the link i posted above. If you do what i advised above then the self test will tell you what score, if anything was recommended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thank you i have done it, but can you tell me do they go by what she says or do they change it
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SAMandCHARLEY, thank you for sharing this with us and well done for getting through the assessment, I know they can be tough.

Unfortunately nobody can predict what your outcome will be, but fingers crossed you'll hear soon. Do keep us updated!
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thank you so much and as soon as i hear anything i will let you know, but after talking to you in the first place i feel a bit easy now :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    If you generally feel uncomfortable with your assessment I would ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Do the self test online and see what you get. How many boxes were ticked? 
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Hello this waiting time for a pip decision is terrible, i have now been waiting 6 wks and still nothing, i wonder if the old saying is true, no news is good news
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

As a general rule of thumb, from date of PIP assessment, to getting Award letter is eight weeks.

Keep an eye on your bank account for payments from DWP, as often payments are made before Award letter arrives.

Have you worked out what points your were awarded from you assessment report?

The DWP usually go with these recommendations by the HCP.

Keep us informed.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Hi thanks for that but i am on disability any way, they have changed me over to this pip, and its that decision which has got me nervous, i did count the points but i am scared in case they change their minds

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Since you have the report you now have a good idea what your award may or will be but like you post it’s the waiting, if the report looks good and it just a matter of waiting for the official confirmation of your award.
  • atlas46
    Hi

To qualify my advice about checking bank statement.

If you are currently getting DLA, payments will show NI number DWP DLA.

If you get PIP, payments will show NI number DWP PIP.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thanks for getting back to me, i know your right but its playing the waiting game and i am also afraid that they wont take the word of the report and that they will make up their own mind
  • atlas46
    Hi

Please be assured, the case manager cannot change the assessment report or the points awarded.

There is nothing to stop you phoning the PIP helpline each week, for a progress update. They should advice you over the phone, if an award has been made.

There has been no reports on this forum of any changes made to assessors recommendations. This is not unsurprising, as a case manager has no medical
    knowledge or capability of disability assessment.

Hope this helps.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2019
    I agree with the advice that they usually go with the report and the assessment report can't be changed.

What i disagree with is that the points in the report is just a recommendation there's no award at that point, the decision maker can disagree and not go against the report.It's very rare that this happens but it can and does happen.  The points in the report are definitely not an award.
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Thank you everyone for all your information, its been very helpful
  • SAMandCHARLEY
    Hi everone just to let you all know , i recieved my PIP this morning after 8 wks and it has not changed from the disability i was already getting, so i am very pleased about this, and i want to thank you all for puting my mind at ease
  • SAMandCHARLEY
  • poppy123456
    Great news, well done :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.