pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


nigelb Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi guys i wonder if you can help the wife has been refused the higher rate of pip for mobility by a very one sided goverment scheme they say as she can go out on her scooter with the dog which is about a mile long she is able to go any where we live in a village that relys on buses to get to a supermarket so there is no chance of her getting out .we have had a motability car  since about 1993 and now they say she doesnt need it i always thought over time unless you are lucky things get worse not better .
we have had to buy a car which is proving a struggle to keep going with payments and now her mobility scooter is packing up and like this i cant afford a new one and she needs the higher rate to get a new scooter the question ive got is weve applied in june weve  done the mandotory appeal weve even wrote to our mp in november i should have thought really conservative mp  no help what so ever just told me what i already know this came back to us 22nd nov   we thought we would leave it till after xmas and try again now the question is  do i carry on with this claim and what would be the best way forward  or are we to late now   or do i start a new claim  from the begining
 thank you for your help


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,368 Disability Gamechanger

    Was your wife awarded any PIP at all? If she was then you won't be able to start a new claim because she has an existing award.

    Your local MP won't be able to help your wife claim PIP. Most MPs do not have any PIP knowledge.

    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

    Waiting times for Tribunals are huge in most areas, some people are waiting as long as 1 year for a Tribunal date.

    She could put in a change of circumstances for a worsening of condition but she will need to get face to face advice before doing this. Any new decision made will overrule the Tribunal decision.

  • pixie61
    pixie61 Member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I have my local MP to look into why I’ve been awarded less through pip, even though I was on enhanced rate whilst on DLA, for 11 years,  I too am going to lose my car soon! There is now a case law which say, if you were long term DLA & after transferring to PIP, DWP have either reduced or not  awarded anything, they have to give a readon as to why the award is so different. I have mentioned this not only to DWP, through my MR, but also to my local MP. I would still get your local MP involved, because if we don’t highlight the system & the injustice of it all, how can it ever be put right. X
  • gnmeads
    gnmeads Member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi nigelb Welcome to the Scope community.
    I try talking to someone in this part of the Scope site:https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    The CAB say:

    "To be allowed to appeal to a tribunal, you’ll need:

    • your letter from the DWP with the words ‘Mandatory Reconsideration Notice’ at the top - if you’ve lost it, ask them for a new one
    • to send your appeal form in within one month of the date shown on the mandatory reconsideration notice"
    According to this, you would be too late to go to appeal but I am not an expert so Im unsure if there are circumstances where you can put in a late appeal. 
    You can put in a new claim, but you should be aware that with any new claim or appeal, they can reduce the amount you get as well as increase it.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.