Can i decline if the assessor asks me to do something, that i can't do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can i decline if the assessor asks me to do something, that i can't do?

dellboy1952
dellboy1952 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm going to a pip assessment in 7 days I am terrified that the assessor will ask me to do something I feel will cause me pain if they ask me to do something I know I can't do can I decline to do it please

Comments

• dellboy1952
    dellboy1952 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I've had an heart attack and a stroke and I also have spinal mylitis and one of my legs is dead to touch from my stroke and the other leg has a problem with my knee cap which causes me great pain because I have a fractured knee cap and awaiting to hear what can be done to it do I have to stand on my legs during assessment. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @dellboy1952

Welcome to the community. I'm sorry you're feeling this way, I know some of our members have been through this. They will be able to offer some support. Take it easy and I am sure it will go well. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You don't have to do anything that will cause you pain and discomfort. If you're asked then tell the HCP why you're not able to do it. Whether it will go against you or not i have no idea. It never went against me, but some say it did.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You don't have to do anything that will cause you pain and discomfort. If you're asked then tell the HCP why you're not able to do it. Whether it will go against you or not i have no idea. It never went against me, but some say it did.

This is a good question. Is it better to refuse outright hoping that the assessor would understand and not think that it is an excuse or show the assessor willing and try to carry out the activity to the point that the claimant can't do any more.

No idea to be honest. Personally I would try and let see what happens.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I have to go along with yadnad, and do the best you can but only to the point that any more movements will cause you pain and discomfort, or say you can’t because it causes you pain but caution here as you walked into the office will be an inclination that you are partly mobile to some extent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.