If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Moving my son from DLA to PIP

chrissielaw1chrissielaw1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
My Son has schizophrenia" 
He has been on DLA for many years as I would not change him to PIP as they wanted him to go for assessments in some far off area. Since the changes to PIP (High Court) I am now changing to PIP, My Son can not go out on his own, this is due to not only schizophreina but secondary type conditions such as stress and anxiety.
Has anyone eles claimed mobility under the new changes? If so how did you get on?
I am interested to see if any real change will come with regards to claims for mental health under PIP. 


  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @chrissielaw1, and wishing you all the best with the change to PIP. Hopefully our members will be in touch soon and able to share their experiences with you.
  • chrissielaw1chrissielaw1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes, lots of people claim enhanced mobility for following and planning a journey, my daughter is one of them. However, you can't compare 2 people because everyone is affected differently by these conditions. It really does depend on how your conditions affect you.

    When filling out those forms you need to put down as much information as possible about how his conditions affect him against the PIP descriptors. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity.

    Expect a face to face assessment as most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, you must stay focused on how your sons condition affects him in relationship to the PIP descriptors not on his illnesses or disability. Give several examples of how he copes day to day trying to manage, doing each descriptors repeatedly, safely in a timely manner.
Sign in or join us to comment.