Why does DWP restrict timescale for warm house discount? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why does DWP restrict timescale for warm house discount?

Options
2401 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Why does the DWP restrict the timescale for non core group applicants for the warm home discount through the providers to a period of 2 months only in 0ct 15th to December. I have been refused today in an application for my son.  Surely if one qualifies then should be open anytime ??

Comments

• Lisa2006
    Lisa2006 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    It’s only if you’re on income-based benefits like Income Surport.Who should be different for children
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @2401, welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear this. I wonder if the winter fuel payment would be worth looking into, if you're eligible?
    If you were born on or before 5 November 1953 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you’re eligible but do not get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.

The deadline for claiming payments for winter 2018 to 2019 is 31 March 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @2401, I've also just spotted another site recommending the Energy Saving Trust.

Insulation and heating schemes

There are a number of schemes that install insulation and heating improvements to make your home more energy efficient.

You’re likely to be eligible if your home is poorly insulated or doesn’t have a working central heating system, and if you receive any of a range of income-related benefits including Pension Credit.
    Use the links below to find out more:
    • Scotland Energy Assistance Package – Tel 0800 512 012 for more information
    Options
    Hi @2401, welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear this. I wonder if the winter fuel payment would be worth looking into, if you're eligible?
    If you were born on or before 5 November 1953 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment’.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you’re eligible but do not get paid automatically, you will need to make a claim.

The deadline for claiming payments for winter 2018 to 2019 is 31 March 2019

Options
    TypeHI pippa_scope thanks for reply   My son does not qualify for winter fuel

He is entitled to warm home discount but their appears to be a tiny window for applications .   Can only think that it is deliberate    Should be own all year round your comment
  • carolr9978
    carolr9978 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    This small window of application is for all that claim in both groups. Is only paid in the winter months hence the small window of application. The applications are taken in this period and paid out between DEC and March only. You will either receive a letter to take to post office to top up your key or the money will credit your direct debit account with provider. The insulating scheme above is only if you own your home not council and the winter fuel payment is for pensioners. Remember this year applications open September. Hope this helps x
    Options
    Sorry carol That fails to answer the question.   Why such a small window to apply.  I appreciate when it is paid but don't see what that has to do with applications   Many must miss this despite the government rather dubious policy that they want entitled people to apply for their benefited grants discounts etc. 2401
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @2401, I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I don't think anybody here on the community will be able to tell you why this is the case or offer an alternative. 

You clearly have strong feelings about this, perhaps it's something to consider writing to your MP about? They may be best placed to advise/ offer alternative suggestions in this case, however do feel free to keep us updated and we'll advise where we can. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not sure why you think it's the DWP that does this. It's got nothing to do with DWP, it's the energy suppliers that do this and it's their choice when applications close.

There's limited funding for those in the broader group and it's a first come first serve basis. The window of application varies entirely between different energy companies.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The insulating scheme above is only if you own your home not council
    Sorry but this is incorrect advice. You can have a grant for home insulation whether you own your home or rent it. I had my housing association rented house insulated just a couple of years ago....completely free. Certain means tested benefits automatically qualify you to receive this insulation.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.