Going back to uni as a mature student age 64 yearsnd — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going back to uni as a mature student age 64 yearsnd

Wheelieman64
Wheelieman64 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2019 in Education
Hi my name is John,

I am 64 in Feb 2019 and would like to go back to university to study a photography degree full-time for my own pleasure and as a pathway out of residential care. I am the beneficiary of a large discretionary trust from my Mum’s with which cannot be taken by social services for my care as it is held in trust for my benefit. My trustees have agreed to paying for any tuition fees from the trust as doing so would use up only a little of the trust. I have found a two year undergraduate course in Documentary Photography at Plymouth University. I already have a degree in Politics from the 1970’s but photography is my first love. Handling cameras is no problem. However, my CP is quite severe as are my care needs. I use a power chair, am hoisted, wear inco pads and require full personal care. Any Advice you could offer on how I successfully become a student again:) would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John.

Comments

• LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi my name is John,

I am 64 in Feb 2019 and would like to go back to university to study a photography degree full-time for my own pleasure and as a pathway out of residential care. I am the beneficiary of a large discretionary trust from my Mum’s with which cannot be taken by social services for my care as it is held in trust for my benefit. My trustees have agreed to paying for any tuition fees from the trust as doing so would use up only a little of the trust. I have found a two year undergraduate course in Documentary Photography at Plymouth University. I already have a degree in Politics from the 1970’s but photography is my first love. Handling cameras is no problem. However, my CP is quite severe as are my care needs. I use a power chair, am hoisted, wear inco pads and require full personal care. Any Advice you could offer on how I successfully become a student again:) would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John.
    Hi John,

Firstly well done on aiming for going to uni. It is amazing.

I am a disabled student who has just started uni. I am studying via an online distance learning platform (on my GPs recommendations). It is perfect as i can study in my own time at my own pace. I am still stidying full time but on my own shedule. I was going to do photography and there are a few online courses in that area.

Have you considered that sort of method rather than campus based so you dont have to rush out to uni for a certain time etc?

Good luck what ever you decide :)

• Wheelieman64
    Thanks for that. Currently I live in a horrendous nursing home full of people with dementia as social services say that is all that is available for me!!!! So am looking to uni as a route back into the community ? campus living would suit me well in this respect ?
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi @Wheelieman64 How are you doing? I do support work with a young man who has CP, uses a wheelchair and is currently in his last year of a Photography degree. There are lots of assistive tech solutions for photography and for academic study generally. My friend has a blog at: http://www.dextermclean.com/blog.php that is definitely worth checking out. Keep us posted as to how you are doing!

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• Wheelieman64
    Thanks Zaid, that is so helpful  :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.