What happens at an Autism/Aspergers test — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens at an Autism/Aspergers test

Scott_Noonez1
Scott_Noonez1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi my name is Scott I’m 26 and I’m new on here and came across this topic of Aspergers/Autism. I have recently been to my Doctors for an appointment and talked about how slightly different I can be from other people my age and so on and I’m now on the waiting list for an Aspergers/Autism test. I’m just wondering because I’ve never had this done before where do you go for it? And what happens? Is it at your local hospital or somewhere else?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Scott_Noonez1
    Scott_Noonez1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you Debbie.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Scott_Noonez1
    This is from the National Autistic Society (NAS):

The diagnostic assessment

Most adults see a psychiatrist, clinical psychologist or multi-disciplinary team for their diagnosis. Waiting times vary. You can take someone with you when you go for a diagnosis if you like.

The team or professional might ask you to bring an ‘informant’ with you – someone who knew you as a child, such as one of your parents or an older sibling. This is because they may be able to give important information about your childhood.

A diagnosis is not a medical examination. You don't need to be examined physically and shouldn't be asked for any samples, such as blood.

HOW WILL THEY DETERMINE THAT I AM AUTISTIC?

The characteristics of autism vary from one person to another, but in order for a diagnosis to be made, a person will usually be assessed as having had persistent difficulties with social communication and social interaction and restricted and repetitive patterns of behaviours, activities or interests (this includes sensory behaviour), since early childhood, to the extent that these 'limit and impair everyday functioning'.

There are several 'diagnostic tools' available, and diagnosticians aren't obliged to use a specific tool. The tool is likely to involve a series of questions about your developmental history from when you were a young child (for example, about language, play and cognition).

For more information about diagnosis around Autism and Aspergers, take a look at the NAS website.

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.