Help*my disabled mom is at risk of homelessness — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help*my disabled mom is at risk of homelessness

Options
ElaFo
ElaFo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone! I am new in here I need some advice as I'm worried about my mom situation:
She is 62, with severe mental health and physical disabilities (mobility problems). She has been living with a friend in the Uk for a year and 2months and she gets ESA as she cannot work due to her disabilities. She moved here because her health was getting worse and I'm her only family so I'm taking care of her.  The problem is her friend is now selling the house soon and she has nowhere else to go. I live in a shared house with other 5 people and infortunately she cannot stay at mine. We have been to the local coucil and they said she doesn't quality for "homeless help" as she doesn't have enough employment history in the Uk. 
Where can I get help to find her a place to stay? I could help her financially to rent a room (as ESA is not enough) but I couln't find any rooms that accept people on benefits or of my moms age. The only thing I could find (DSS welcome) are studio flats but I cannot afford that. 
Thank you for reading this <3

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,072 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

What do you mean she doesn't have enough employment history in the UK? Was she born in the UK? It's extremely difficult for single people to get social housing, even if you haven't worked. There's usually not much help for homeless people through a local council. Privately renting is usually the way forward here.

She could possibly claim help for her rent through Universal credit but if she claimed UC then her ESA will stop and transfer across to that.

I think a visit to her local CAB or other advice agency is needed here. Maybe even ageUK. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.