Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help*my disabled mom is at risk of homelessness

ElaFoElaFo Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone! I am new in here I need some advice as I'm worried about my mom situation:
She is 62, with severe mental health and physical disabilities (mobility problems). She has been living with a friend in the Uk for a year and 2months and she gets ESA as she cannot work due to her disabilities. She moved here because her health was getting worse and I'm her only family so I'm taking care of her.  The problem is her friend is now selling the house soon and she has nowhere else to go. I live in a shared house with other 5 people and infortunately she cannot stay at mine. We have been to the local coucil and they said she doesn't quality for "homeless help" as she doesn't have enough employment history in the Uk. 
Where can I get help to find her a place to stay? I could help her financially to rent a room (as ESA is not enough) but I couln't find any rooms that accept people on benefits or of my moms age. The only thing I could find (DSS welcome) are studio flats but I cannot afford that. 
Thank you for reading this <3


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    What do you mean she doesn't have enough employment history in the UK? Was she born in the UK? It's extremely difficult for single people to get social housing, even if you haven't worked. There's usually not much help for homeless people through a local council. Privately renting is usually the way forward here.

    She could possibly claim help for her rent through Universal credit but if she claimed UC then her ESA will stop and transfer across to that.

    I think a visit to her local CAB or other advice agency is needed here. Maybe even ageUK. https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.