Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Lost carer payments on UC

CatsAndPussys63CatsAndPussys63 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit
Iam on UC and was up until recently receiving the carers element of UC but they took it off me because I was given the higher disability element of UC and they said that I could non longer look after my 17 year old son who has cystic fibrocis. I couldn't understand This because I was still getting carers allowance and you also need to be able to look after someone for 35 hours a week  or more? I do find it very hard sometimes to do the things thatvi used to but he's my son and I will try my best even though I feel dreadful. Well now my carers allowance has suddenly stopped is it because they've stopped my carers element ? Can I get it back in my UC? Please help it will be much appreciated!

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're receiving the LCWRA element of UC you can't claim the carers element as well as this, i'm afraid. DWP are correct with this.

Claiming carers allowance will make no difference because it's deducted £1 for £1 for your UC payments. The only advantage to the carers allowance is the NI contributions that's paid through claiming it. Hope this helps.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    See link for confirmation that you can't claim both elements.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.