Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Esa and partner

cher77cher77 Member Posts: 95 Courageous
Hi all i claim esa for me and my husband he needs an eye test but whenever i get a letter from esa it just says my name and (partner if you have one) so does anyone know if he gets free NHS like eye test prescriptions I've rung Specsavers and they said he will have to pay as his name isn't on the claim is the correct thanks in advance x


  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,300 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes that's right, you can phone DWP and get a leyter confirming your huspand, partner is on your claim .I did this for my wife so she now gets free dental treatment and eye test and very reduced glasses prices. I just took the letter to Specsavers and the dentist and all was ok.
  • cher77cher77 Member Posts: 95 Courageous
    Hi @wilko thanks for that appreciate it 
  • cher77cher77 Member Posts: 95 Courageous
    Hi @wilko just a quick update rung for letter with my husband's name on the claim form it arrived this morning so thanks once again
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,300 Disability Gamechanger
    Your welcome not many people are aware of this clause in benefits. The vouchers are given once a year for glasses how much dental work you get done I don’t know only needed check ups so far and s polish and Descale.
  • cher77cher77 Member Posts: 95 Courageous
    Yes it's great to know he's only ever needed dentist once but that was at an emergency one where anyone can go and he paid a small fee cheaper than going to his own dentist it's mainly his eyes lol 
  • billieboobillieboo Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Wish i could get help for new glasses n dental treatment. Im on pip only cant get Esa as i havnt paid enough Ni im 62. I have breast cancer and secondary bone cance in my hip. I sent for eye test didnt ave to pay but cant get any help towards new glasses? Rang dentist up as im takin so many tablets my teeth are rotting at the roots i have to pay full wack!!!! Ive worked frm leaving sch. Finished wrking 4yrs ago to look after my daughter then my mum they both passed my esa stopped. Then found put over my cancer 2 n half yrs ago  can only get pip?? Seems upfair but thats the system for you. X
  • cher77cher77 Member Posts: 95 Courageous
    Hi @billieboo I'm not sure why you don't get esa I'm in the support part wasn't at 1st had to send sick notes in every month for ages then i claimed pip having trouble with them at the moment going to tribunal again I'm so sorry for your losses and what you are going through at the moment have you rung ESA as I've only ever had 1 job from leaving school I'm 42 nearly and got on esa almost immediately even when sending sick notes in glad i don't have to do that anymore such a strain makes me feel like I'm begging for money and feel belittle sometimes x
  • billieboobillieboo Member Posts: 3 Connected
    Hi cher77.
    I was on ESA bfore i got pip they tuk me off it sed ive not got enuf NI left? Which is a load of B----ks my sis never worked in her life she was Job Seekers tgen got sik notes and was put on ESA as Job Seekers pay ur NI. I rang and told em ino ppl ave never wrked and get esa and pip they sed yes bcos they get both bcos theres enuf NI. Im livid to say the least!!! Im struggling like mad ere but thats wat ive bin told. So wen im 65 in 3yrs wat do i live on??
    And ino exactly wat ur going through but pls dnt give up ur entitled to it then keep wiv it!! They make u feel like a charity case and beg and its  so wrong!! 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Claiming Contribution based ESA isn't affected by any other household income, savings or capital. So a partner working doesn't affect this. To be able to claim this you need to have worked and paid enough NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years before your claim. It is also only paid for 365 days unless you're placed into the Support Group and then it's paid for as long as you remain in the group.

    To claim Income Related ESA because it's a means tested benefit it will depend on household income, savings and capital. This means that if you live with a partner that works then you won't be entitled to claim it. Means tested benefits are always claimed as a couple if you live with a partner.

    If a person has never worked and they live with a partner that doesn't work then they would be entitled to claim Income related ESA. I suspect your sister is able to claim Income related ESA because of these reasons.

    PIP isn't means tested and can be claimed regardless of household income, savings or capital.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.