Severe mental impairment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Severe mental impairment

Grace7 Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I have a long standing diagnosis of Schizophrenia. I am detained under the mental health act on a community based treatment order. This means I have to get depot injections and let professionals in to my house to see me or else I get recalled to hospital. 

I live in on my own so get a 25% reduction in my Council tax bill. I have looked into further Council tax exemptions and read about the severe mental impairment one which means you don't need to pay any Council tax. Some websites say this applies to people with significant learning disabilities, Parkinson's and dementia etc, but I've also read it can include severe and chronic mental health conditions. I'm not sure if it would include me and can't get a fuller definition. Does any one know anything about this? 

Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,932 Disability Gamechanger

    To claim this you must be claiming either one of these.
    • Disability Living Allowance with the middle or highest rate care component,
    • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component (standard or enhanced rate),
    • Attendance Allowance,
    • Severe Disablement Allowance,
    • Employment and Support Allowance,
    • Incapacity Benefit,
    • Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance with a disability premium,
    • Working Tax Credit with the disability element.
    To claim it you need to be medically certified as being severely mentally impaired and you'll need a Doctors diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed a condition causing severe mental impairment.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.