What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Severe mental impairment

Hi, I have a long standing diagnosis of Schizophrenia. I am detained under the mental health act on a community based treatment order. This means I have to get depot injections and let professionals in to my house to see me or else I get recalled to hospital. 

I live in on my own so get a 25% reduction in my Council tax bill. I have looked into further Council tax exemptions and read about the severe mental impairment one which means you don't need to pay any Council tax. Some websites say this applies to people with significant learning disabilities, Parkinson's and dementia etc, but I've also read it can include severe and chronic mental health conditions. I'm not sure if it would include me and can't get a fuller definition. Does any one know anything about this? 

Thank you 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim this you must be claiming either one of these.
    • Disability Living Allowance with the middle or highest rate care component,
    • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component (standard or enhanced rate),
    • Attendance Allowance,
    • Severe Disablement Allowance,
    • Employment and Support Allowance,
    • Incapacity Benefit,
    • Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance with a disability premium,
    • Working Tax Credit with the disability element.
    To claim it you need to be medically certified as being severely mentally impaired and you'll need a Doctors diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed a condition causing severe mental impairment.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.