Savings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Savings

maggieomx
maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im selling my home im on pip and income related ESA how much savings can i have in my bank account is it 16,000 or £6,000.
After i sell my house and have bought new appliances and carpets I WILL have around £18.000 left  will it affect my ESA ???

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    I think £16000 is the limit for ESA
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    markyboy said:
    Yes it is - £16,000 and above will see the IR ESA removed.
    Between £6,000 and £16,000 you will lose £1 per week for every £250 you have above £6,000.

So with savings of say £10,000 you will lose £16 a week from the ESA payments.
  • maggieomx
    Hiya just for instance say i sold my home and all solicitors fees and  £7000 mortgage paid off and all fees are paid and if i say had £30,000  left over can i use the money to buy a new bed removal fees a new suite new curtains and so forth im down sizeing from a big 3 bedroom house and nothing is going to be any good in the bungalow iv bought will i be able to use the £30,000 to purchase these things which will bring the £30,000  down to a near £16.000 .
    And i dont mean buying top not stuff ??? Most of my white goods are intergrated 
    Will i be able to do this ???
    Thankyou 
  • maggieomx
    Why will i lose money from between the £6 and £16000 thought your allowed to have  £16000 in your account ?? Before it affects your money ???adnad said:
    markyboy said:
    Yes it is - £16,000 and above will see the IR ESA removed.
    Between £6,000 and £16,000 you will lose £1 per week for every £250 you have above £6,000.

So with savings of say £10,000 you will lose £16 a week from the ESA payments.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd advise you to keep receipts for the things that you buy. Once your savings drop below £16,000, depending on how long it's taken to spend that money then a decision maker may ask for those receipts to prove what you spent the money one. Deprivation of capital could be looked at. I'm not saying this is what will happen but just in case it does.

Also when you do eventually re-claim benefits then you will need to claim Universal credit because all areas are now a full universal credit area. Claiming housing benefit and ESA won't be possible.

Good luck with the house move.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maggieomx
    Thankyou poppy so i can use the funds for replaceing household stuff iv got to replace  that iv had to leave behind .thats what iv been worrying about
    i will need to buy it in manchester where i live before i move to wales so i have it when i move in my new place ?? 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    There's no rules against not being able to replace or buy new household goods but as advised, keep receipts just in case. If you decide to by the most expensive item then they may start asking questions, if you see what i mean.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maggieomx
    I dont do expensive lol
     just 1 more question im down sizing home got loads of junk left can i sell my possesions on ebay , clothes and ornaments and that sort.of goods x
  • poppy123456
    It will still be down to a decision maker to decide whether you can re-claim a means tested benefit when your savings drop below £16,000. There's no rules that say you can't sell your possessions as far as i know.
  • maggieomx
    Thankyou poppy your a star x
  • dolphins7
    dolphins7 Community member Posts: 42 Listener
    @poppy

If your on uc and PIP which saving bracket would that be 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    dolphins7 said:
    @poppy

If your on uc and PIP which saving bracket would that be 
    Hi,

This is a very old thread and Poppy prefers not to be tagged.  You might have been better off starting a new topic.

PIP is not means tested, so there is no savings bracket for that.

The UC bracket is the same as ESA.  Under £6000 they don't need to be notified.  Between £6,000 to £16,000 they need to be notified and you lose a small amount of income.  Over £16,000 you lose the entitlement to means tested UC.
  • EvanWm
    EvanWm Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    My Grandson receives ESA & PIP - his ESA is sufficient for him live on - so he is accumulating his PIP  - must he keep it below £6k to avoid his ESA being affected - or can he give the money to me for me to invest for him or is this still classed as Savings
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    @EvanWm good evening and welcome to scope, CB based ESA is not affected by savings however Income Bases ESA is, if its IB then giving the money to you and not declaring it would be fraud 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• EvanWm
    Thank you that is what I thought
  • poppy123456
    EvanWm said:
    My Grandson receives ESA & PIP - his ESA is sufficient for him live on - so he is accumulating his PIP  - must he keep it below £6k to avoid his ESA being affected - or can he give the money to me for me to invest for him or is this still classed as Savings
    He can give his money to you but it will still be treated as savings at the end of the period it's paid for. There's a deduction in his Income Related ESA for savings between £6-£16,000. More than £16,000 and entitlement to all means tested benefits will end.
  • EvanWm
    Thank you - confirming what I thought

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.