UC constantly on my back after my partner passed away — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC constantly on my back after my partner passed away

tina001
tina001 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi have just found this site whilst trying to figure out this universal credit I have a part time job which I am going back to I had to take time off work because my partner was diagnosed with terminal cancer I claimed carer allowance my partner passed away on 17th December 2018 Informed dwp and they got me in a week after his death for me to claim universal credit for a appointment to see a job advisor I attended appointment and first thing they asked me was when was I going back to work I informed them again my partner had passed away a week earkier at home they told me they would ring me every two weeks to find out when I would be going back to work I told them I wasn't ready yet but they weren't interested I went to my gp for a sick note for a month I took sick note in to jobcentre they still continue to ring me every two weeks wanting to know when I will be going back to work I also informed them due to a accident involving my right arm I am waiting for a scan as I have limited movement in this arm I work on checkouts in a store I have just been paid from them 314 pound for a month because the carers allowance gets paid for 8 week after my partner died they took that off I understand that but the company I work for also paid 100 pound into my bank as a bereavement payment for myself they also deducted that from my universal credit I phoned them told me the 100 pound from my employer I had to use along with carers allowance to pay my housing costs as these had been deducted I told them after my partner died I had to use this money to pay  for food etc they just said well you were offered a loan of 400 pound until you got your first payment of uc they offered me me  loan of 400     pounds at the start and said I would have to pay it back of 33 pound a month for the next 12 months seeing as I would only be getting 317 a month I declined the offer so therefore I have no choice but to return back to work 5 weeks after my partner has died because they are constantly on my back even with a sicknote  

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tina001, and a warm welcome to the community!

First and foremost, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm even more sorry that you've been dealing with this situation on top of everything else. How are you doing? Do you have people around you who can offer support?

We have some brilliant members here on the community with lots of experience of the benefits system, and I hope they'll be in touch soon to share their thoughts.
  • tina001
    thank you pippa I have had another phone call from my job coach today I told him I am going back to work as the company kept my job open I told him I didn't feel as I had any choice but to go back to stop them calling me and txting me even on day of funeral I was getting txt messages asking me to sign into my account  aweek after he passed I was called in for a identity interview and two days later back again asking me what work I was looking for I told them my partner had passed away over a week ago and I had a job to go back to they were;nt interested just asked me when I would be going back to work I told job coach I didn't feel ready and then he comes across as he didn't feel he had pressured me I said you have I ahd a sicknote for four weeks from my gp and you still ringing me so I don't feel I have any choice I also told him because I had some problems with my arm am waiting for a scan on it I cannot do any more hours at work because my own heath was put on the  back burner whilst caring for my partner 24 hours a day at home I have family support at home and friends thank you I have never claimed this universal credit before and have had to claim housing benefit whicj is ok but am struggling to understand the council tax there telling me I need a letter from universal credit to prove I am getting it but universal credit are saying we don't send out letters so am getting confused as I don't want to end up with a big council tax bill now it has been 4 weeks waiting for this

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi you have been treated badly, and I'm so sorry for your loss. In your situation I would contact my MP and ask them to get involved, they can be helpful in these situations.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• tina001
    thank you woodbine

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

A sick/fit note doesn't automatically entitle you to limited capability for work. When claiming UC you signed the claimant agreement. When handing in a fit note some work coaches will reduce your hours, few will agree to turn them off completely. It's the discretion of the work coach. If you're unhappy with your work coach you have every rights to request a different one. Some will be more understanding than others.

Carers Allowance is deducted from your UC payment £1 for £1. Usually a carers element is added but under these circumstances it won't be added because of the run on of the carers allowance due to your partner passing away.

The payment you received from your work is classed as income and will have been deducted to the value of 63p in every pound.

Are you receiving the housing element part of UC? If you're unsure then please check your online journal. Standard allowance for a single person over the age of 25 is £317.82 per month of which £279 per month is deducted for the Carers allowance.

On top of this you should be getting the housing element, if you live alone and your over 35 then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate. If you're under 35 and live alone it will be the shared rate. You can look online to see what the housing element rate is for your area and circumstances here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Local-Housing-Allowance-Rates

If your fitness to work is long term then you'll need to tell your work coach this and ask them to refer you for a work capability assessment. Once this happens you'll be sent a work capability assessment form to fill in and return and you'll need evidence to support your claim when returning the form. After this you'll be sent an appointment to attend a work capability assessment to determine your fitness to work. You'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work.

If it's not long term and you return to work, you'll be expected to  work at least 35 hours per week @ NMW. If you work less than this then you'll be expected to look for work for the remainder of those hours.

Hope this helps and please don't let your work coach pressure you into returning to work before you're ready to do so. Request a different work coach and hopefully you'll have someone a little more understanding. Good luck!

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.