Telephone Decision & Back Payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telephone Decision & Back Payment

paulus
paulus Community member Posts: 19 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am having a Telephone PIP Appeal hearing, my first question is..Will i be told the Decision whilst on the telephone? Next question..I lodged my Appeal back on Dec 17th 2017 and awaiting a date for my telephone hearing in Feb 2019, will i get my back payment from Dec 2017 if i am successful? TYIA

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @paulus

Good Evening & Welcome.

We have got some info on “pip” on here & I have posted a link below for you.

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fpip&auth=OdCmUepX8Eu01lD6Q10Fhg&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Pip

They won’t be able to give you a decision on the day!!!!!!

If the things go your way then they will give you the payments back!!!!!

I hope that this is ok for you????

@steve51

• paulus
    Hi Steve..Thank You for your reply..So are you saying that from the date that i put on my Tribunal Appeal is the date from which i will get any back payment?..or...Will the back payment be paid to me from  when the Tribunal recieve my Appeal papers?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Not everyone receives a decision on the day, sometimes people have to wait. If this happens then they'll write to you within a few days with the decision.

Any back dated money owed will be paid from the date of the original decision and not from when you requested the Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paulus
    Aaah, i was on the understanding that if the DWP stopped ones PIP and like myself has to re apply via an tribunal Appeal, then if you win that appeal then you get all the back payments from when u lodge the  appealed. I know when i first got PIP in 2016 i lodged it and after nearly 4 months my appeal got heard and i won and i got those 4 months back payment BUT because this time its going to be 14 months before my Hearing i'm wondering if there is a limit on how far any payments can be back dated, or whether there is no actual limit.
  • poppy123456
    There's no time limit, backlogs are huge in most areas and a lot of people are waiting a year or more. It can take 8 weeks to paid back dated money after a Tribunal win.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • paulus
    So Poppy what we are saying is, that in any event i will get any back pay from the date when the Tribunal Service recieved my Appeal Form & any additional medical evidence that i send in with that Form?...Thank You for your response's..Paul
  • DavidJohn1984
    DavidJohn1984 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    @paulus

sorry to jump on your post,

how did did you manage to get a telephone hearing?

i didn’t realise that was an option?
  • paulus
    Its ok David...those are the options..'Face-To-Face' Hearing..A 'Paper' Hearing..And a 'Telephone' hearing...I suffer from Agoraphobia hence why opted for the Telephone Hearing...Before, i done a 'Paper' hearing and won. 
  • DavidJohn1984
    @paulus

Thank you for that.

Do they give you an option when it comes to the tribunal?

I was just told mine was 11 weeks away.

I suffer with stress induced Vomiting.

So a different option to attendance would be great if they gave me that.

I wish you all the best!!

This will be my first Tribunal and i’m so nervous.

• paulus
    yes they gave me the option to Attend or a Paper hearing, then i told them about my agoraphobia and thats when i was told that i could have a telephone hearing...i've been waiting 13 month now....Dont be worried about it because this Panel who decide ARE NOT on the DWP's side...My first PIP award was by the Tribunal  and i put my trust in them and went for the Paper Appeal...I was only going for and expecting to win by getting the Basic Daily Living and nothing on the Disability component BUT i ended up getting Enhanced on the Daily Living and Basic on the Disability component so the DWP really shot themselves in the foot...But this goes to show you that the Tribunal Hearing IS most definitely NOT on the DWP side and that they are neutral, so Dave STOP worrying..Paul  
  • DavidJohn1984
    Thanks @paulus

I’m going to try this.

If I have to go I will definitely go.

If they see me Vomiting it will definitely prove my co diction exists ???
  • poppy123456
    paulus said:
    So Poppy what we are saying is, that in any event i will get any back pay from the date when the Tribunal Service recieved my Appeal Form & any additional medical evidence that i send in with that Form?...Thank You for your response's..Paul
    No, that's not what i said. If the Tribunal goes in your favour then you'll be backdated to the date of the original decision and not from when the Tribunal received your request.
  • paulus
    sorry Poppy but that is not making sense to me..as what you are saying is that once a decision in your favour has been made there is no 'back dated' payment due except the few weeks it takes for the DWP to pay you...Yet i Appealed at first in Jan 2016 and got the decision in my favour in April 2016 and i recieved nearly 4 months back payment....can you see how i am confused?
  • poppy123456
    paulus said:
    sorry Poppy but that is not making sense to me..as what you are saying is that once a decision in your favour has been made there is no 'back dated' payment due except the few weeks it takes for the DWP to pay you...Yet i Appealed at first in Jan 2016 and got the decision in my favour in April 2016 and i recieved nearly 4 months back payment....can you see how i am confused?
    First you say you appealed back in December 2017 and then you contradict yourself and say you appealed in Jan 2016. Can you please explain this?

Was the appeal in Jan 2016 for your first claim? then the appeal in Dec 2017 was a review of the first claim? If so then when was the decision made on the 2nd claim?

When i say original decision i meant the original decision of this current claim, not the first claim because i had no idea you had appealed the first decision.
    I am having a Telephone PIP Appeal hearing, my first question is..Will i be told the Decision whilst on the telephone? Next question..I lodged my Appeal back on Dec 17th 2017 and awaiting a date for my telephone hearing in Feb 2019, will i get my back payment from Dec 2017 if i am successful? TYIA

• paulus
    2016 was when i first got my PIP by the Tribunal, this was for 18month, so in Dec 2017 the PIP expired and the DWP stopped it, i done a mandatory appeal and they gave me just basic mobility, whereas in 2016 i was awarded daily living enhanced and basic mobility by the tribunal..so i appealed to the tribunal in dec 2017 and expecting my hearing date in Feb 2019, 14 months later which means if i am successful then for these past 14 months i would have been entitled to PIP  
  • poppy123456
    It won't be backdated to the date of your first claim. It will be backdated to the date of the decision of your most recent claim (the one you're waiting for the Tribunal for)

When your PIP ended in Dec 2017 then you must have had another face to face assessment after it ended, or just before it ended. If you didn't then you wouldn't have anything to request the MR for.
  • paulus
    no the Tribunal gave it to me for the 18month, and once it ended the DWP did not continue to give it to me so they stopped it, i then lost the Manatory DWP Appeal, so i then went to the Tribunal, which i am waiting for now..so if i win i will have 14 month back payment....because as i said, before i got the 4 month backpayment as it starts from when your Appeal is 'Lodged'...thats my understanding of it
  • poppy123456
    Once your award ends it ends, it doesn't continue unless you're re-assessed. My advice is the same, you'll be backdated to the date your previous award ended, this will be the original decision on this claim. Not your last claim. You misunderstood me at the start. Good luck with the Tribunal. :)
  • paulus
    Hi Poppy, so 'Yes' i will get the 14 month back payment, i just wasn't sure if there was some form of 'Capping' on how far the DWP or the Tribunal are prepared to pay one any 'Back Pay'....And i'm am feeling confident with a positive outcome. All the best to you
  • paulus
    Spoke to the DWP and they have confirmed that any backpayment will be paid from the time the Tribunal Appeal papers are lodged by the Tribunal, in my case, that is the 22nd Jan 2018.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.