PIP Assessments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP Assessments

Winifred
Winifred Member Posts: 4 Listener
Why are we not protesting about being assessed on OBSERVATION - recently assessed.  asked whether I give to Charity and my appearance commented on? Is this not an insult?

Comments

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi @Winifred, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Those sound like unusual questions. Would you like to tell us some more about your experience?
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I got asked if I liked smoking I’ve Neva smoked in my life 
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, having had two PIP acessments the first on reading my report I could see the acessor had observed me from the moment my name was called in the waiting room right through the acessment process. From my ability to hear my name called getting to my feet using crutches, walking to her office, lowering myself into a chair using her desk for support, standing five times to stretch my legs, comments where noted about my completion, clean finger nails, well groomed and dressed made eye contact and had an understanding of my illnesses and conditions ( MS ) it’s all part of the acessment process and by requesting your acessment report makes interesting reading even if you do get the appropriate award as I did on both occasions the second for a change in circumstances.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, having had two PIP acessments the first on reading my report I could see the acessor had observed me from the moment my name was called in the waiting room right through the acessment process. From my ability to hear my name called getting to my feet using crutches, walking to her office, lowering myself into a chair using her desk for support, standing five times to stretch my legs, comments where noted about my completion, clean finger nails, well groomed and dressed made eye contact and had an understanding of my illnesses and conditions ( MS ) it’s all part of the acessment process and by requesting your acessment report makes interesting reading even if you do get the appropriate award as I did on both occasions the second for a change in circumstances.
    Did they do a mental health assessment? I was pronounced fit in mind and body. That was in contradiction  to a psychiatric assessment and report as to my difficulties as assessed by the professionals over a two day period of mental health tests.
  • Winifred
    Winifred Member Posts: 4 Listener
    As I suffer from a progressive Syndrome which causes Nerve Damage + many things including complete immobility I was more than a little angry that due to the Medical Report not being there (I recently moved from Scotland) and my surgeys failure to get them at all I have had to spend the last year being re-assessed ( present diagnosis now worse than the original) to wait for an appeal during which time I received no mobility allowance and had to attend hospitals some distance away - at one point being admitted! I feel this system is totally unfair - causes huge amounts of stress to the people in the worst position to suffer from it. I have had to struggle desperately and live alone. 
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Sorry to hear this it’s disgusting how they treat us and if we appeal they stop our money it’s as if because they don’t believe us we go tribunal so stop our money it’s a disgrace for peaple to put up with good luck 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    Dotty123 said:
    Sorry to hear this it’s disgusting how they treat us and if we appeal they stop our money it’s as if because they don’t believe us we go tribunal so stop our money it’s a disgrace for peaple to put up with good luck 
    Of course you would expect them to stop the payments after being found ineligible for PIP. If you go to appeal you will get the back pay.

    If they paid you until the appeal hearing and you lost in court how would you manage to repay the money that you have had but weren't entitled to it?
  • Winifred
    Winifred Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am only saying that for any disabled person to go through a year of misery and suffer lack of food in order to get benefits they are entitled to is medieval life threatening and the system should not impose that. As to repayment - who knows? I don't and have checked - varies!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    Winifred said:
    I am only saying that for any disabled person to go through a year of misery and suffer lack of food in order to get benefits they are entitled to is medieval life threatening and the system should not impose that.
    Unfortunately that is the way it is. I presume that the government are working on the model of - if you have managed to live without the benefit for a year then when you do get(if) the payment it would be a welcome bonus.
    Seems that nothing is going to happen soon to improve the waiting times
  • Winifred
    Winifred Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Am sight impaired so struggling to make point here
  • julie58
    julie58 Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Can someone please help us . My daughter had a f2f in December we been phoning for updates every week we phoned today and they told us they have lost the it what do we do now .thankyou
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Some one should have it it’s done on computer or you ask to be paid and another f2f good luck play he’ll go can they’ll help 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?


Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.