What age should a child get a blue badge — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What age should a child get a blue badge

gemw
gemw Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My 3 and a half year old still can't get a blue badge or high care rate of disability allowance. He is completely unmobile requires 247 care and attention has no way of helping himself. Do they automatically review or do I need to request many thanks 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    No you have to be proactive in these matters, if it's DLA or Blue badge are you claiming DLA for your son? Look on line to see what the criteria is age wise.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    DLA high rate mobility can be claimed for a child from the age of 3 years old. They don't automatically contact you, you need to contact them for a change of circumstances and to claim the mobility part.

Do be aware that it's very difficult to claim high rate mobility for a child. I also believe that they need to be claiming the highest rate of care to be able to claim high rate mobility.

The higher rate is usually given to children with severe physical difficulties, or conditions that mean it’s dangerous for them to get around alone. You’ll get the higher rate of £59.75 if your child is 3 or over and one of the following describes them:

• they can’t walk
    • they have severe discomfort when they walk outside, for example they can’t walk to school because it would hurt them too much to walk outside that far
    • walking would put them in danger or would mean their health would get worse
    • they have no legs or feet
    • they’re blind or severely sight impaired 
    • they’re both deaf and blind

You’ll also get the higher rate of £59.75 if your child is 3 or over and all the following describe them:

• they have a severe learning disability or other mental impairment that affects their intelligence and how they act with other people
    • the impairment results in disruptive and dangerous behaviour, for example someone has to watch over them to stop them hurting themselves or others
    • they’re entitled to the highest rate care component

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.