I have severe long term depression and panic disorder, help with PIP form — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have severe long term depression and panic disorder, help with PIP form

Options
Jen1983
Jen1983 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I'm new here. I'm Jen. I suffer with long term depression and panic disorder. Around a year ago I finally plucked up the strength to apply for PIP only to be told after assessment that I wasn't entitled to it as was scored 0 points which absolutely deveatated me because I'm on two different types of medication unable to work and struggle woth suicidal thoughts daily. I didn't have the strength to appeal it at the time but I've recently decided to apply for it again. Does anyone have any advice on completing the form? Thanks in advance. X

Comments

• Jen1983
    Options
    Hello I'm new here. I'm Jen. I suffer with long term depression and panic disorder. Around a year ago I finally plucked up the strength to apply for PIP only to be told after assessment that I wasn't entitled to it as was scored 0 points which absolutely deveatated me because I'm on two different types of medication unable to work and struggle woth suicidal thoughts daily. I didn't have the strength to appeal it at the time but I've recently decided to apply for it again. Does anyone have any advice on completing the form? Thanks in advance. X
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jen1983

Welcome to the community. :)

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am sorry to hear about what you're going thorough. Please have a look at this page on 'Help filling in your form'  and our mental health forum  

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you.

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself. If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You need to put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Send any relevant evidence you have to support your claim with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this.

If you're not successful this time then i'd strongly advise you to request the MR then Tribunal if that fails. To constantly re-apply using the same evidence as before could see you being refused again. Which is why MR/Tribunal is the best option.  Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jen1983
    Options
    Thankyou Poppy123456. I'll make sure to add in as much evidence as possible like my prescription for my meds etc. If I'm refused this time then I will definately appeal the decision. I know I'm genuinely ill and entitled to PIP so prepared to fight my corner now, although it's so unfair that I have to. Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me I appreciate it.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

@jen1983…When you say that,“I know that I’m genuinely ill” and plan to add your prescription as evidence, please take care that you don’t fall into the same trap as a lot of people and get confused about what PIP is about.

PIP is a test of functionality i.e. what you can do, and what you can’t do due to your illness. It’s not a test of how ill you are.

If I can offer some advice, which worked for me :-

Before you put pen to paper, spend some time reading the PIP descriptors (they’re on the DWP website) so that you understand what they are about. For example, preparing food doesn’t include using an oven, nor serving food. Bathing doesn’t include drying yourself, nor shaving, but you have to be able to use both an unadapted bath AND an unadapted shower. 

Go through the different categories, and make a note on how many points you think you should score (this is also on the DWP site) - needs to total 8 to qualify.

Then, as @poppy123456 says, you need 2-3 examples of why you are unable to complete as task or why you need help/ an aid. I found keeping a diary for a week or two helpful, particularly if your condition varies. Brief notes, doesn’t need to be ‘War and Peace’

Don’t go overboard on the medical ‘evidence’. I used two letters from my consultant confirming my diagnosis. I could have added dozens of pages more but I came to the conclusion that no-one would bother to read them, and they wouldn’t understand them if they did.

Good luck!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.