Have any other over sixties lost their PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have any other over sixties lost their PIP?

Options
Hanbury
Hanbury Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been receiving PIP for 4 years or so. Was called in for re examination and now have no points and the pip has been taken away. I heard that they are taking PIP from the over sixties if they can. I was very surprised at this, but I do have some times when I am well, so I wonder if they have based the decision on this. They say you have to be ill 3 or 4 days a week, but my problems happen for 3 weeks or so at a time then I am ok for several weeks or so. I know they are trying to cut down on their payments Has anyone had the same thing happen to them. Thank you

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Hanbury   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide, advise and help with members joining.

In response to your question regarding PIP. May I suggest you need to appeal. We have lots on appeals on our website.

I do understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately PIP is not based on your illness or condition, disability you have.

It is based on how these conditions, illness or disability effect you to do the descriptors required by the assessors.  Daily living and tasks around the environment you reside in.

I would advise with any appeals consult CAB for further advice and information.

We are here to support you.  You are not alone.

Please ask if we can help and advise on anything .Some one will know from our community or a member of our team be in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hanbury

Welcome it’s great to meet you this afternoon.

I am one of the “Community Champion’s” on here.

We are here to offer both “info and advice”

My good friend @thespiceman has given you some great info & advice above.

@steve51
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    As you get older it seems the DWP want you off PIP this is reflected in their rules that you cannot go from standard mobility to enhanced when over 65 this is why if you are in enhanced mobility and you are reassessed if they can they will reduce it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,022 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is about how you are 50% of the time over a 12 month period. If you disagree with the decision then you have 1 month to request the MR and this should be put in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    markyboy said:
    As you get older it seems the DWP want you off PIP this is reflected in their rules that you cannot go from standard mobility to enhanced when over 65 this is why if you are in enhanced mobility and you are reassessed if they can they will reduce it 
    Not exactly. Yes you are right that after 65 you cannot go from Standard Mobility to Enhanced Mobility. It has very little to do with cost.
    Your mobility will almost always become worse as you get older. This has nothing to do with a disability but more to do with the ageing process. If everybody over 65 was able to start or improve a PIP claim for mobility there would be thousands more that would qualify for a Motability car.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hanbury said:
    I have been receiving PIP for 4 years or so. Was called in for re examination and now have no points and the pip has been taken away. I heard that they are taking PIP from the over sixties if they can. I was very surprised at this, but I do have some times when I am well, so I wonder if they have based the decision on this. They say you have to be ill 3 or 4 days a week, but my problems happen for 3 weeks or so at a time then I am ok for several weeks or so. I know they are trying to cut down on their payments Has anyone had the same thing happen to them. Thank you
    I was originally assessed by DLA and received High Mobility & High Care from 1995. In late 2013 when I was 65 I had my first PIP assessment this resulted in the DWP giving me 0 points for both mobility and care. I fought that decision and was awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility. In 2015 I had my second PIP assessment which it too resulted in 0 points. Once again I fought the decision and was re-awarded Enhanced Care & Mobility. In late 2017 I had my third assessment which once again resulted in 0 points across the board. I asked for an MR but that too was no change - still 0 points. 

Having found someone to help me a month ago I am now appealing against the 2017 assessment. If that fails then it's goodbye any further PIP payments/awards - too old as over 65. Thankfully now that I am shortly to be 71 I don't need a car as I no longer have my licence or Blue Badge.

But because of the loss of this disability based benefit and not able to reclaim it as I am too old, we (my wife and I) have lost over £200 a week in income.
    And they say that the government will look after the elderly - what a complete joke. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.