Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Council want to charge me for making home accessible

ljkljk Member Posts: 4 Listener
I am hoping you may be able to help me please?  I have been offered a council bungalow as I am disabled.  The bungalow is great but the parking isn’t directly outside the property.  I made an enquiry to the local council about dropping the kerb so I can drive onto the front of the bungalow but they wanted £60 before they would come out and look.  I haven’t yet accepted the bungalow as I need to know I will be able to get in and out of it.  Do I have any rights with being disabled to ask them to do it please?  I don't have enough money to pay for it myself..
Thank you


  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ljk Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide, help and advise new members.

    I am unsure of an answer to your question.  I know there will be members of our community may know.

    One suggestion is to speak to CAB about this. I am sure they may help.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • ljkljk Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you very much.  
  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @ljk

    Please do keep us updated.
  • ljkljk Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I think w3 are going to have to refuse it.  W3 had a drive round to it again today and the parking situation is terrible.  There are camper vans, transits and care all over the place.  So staying put is the lesser on 2 evils.
Sign in or join us to comment.