Underpayment ? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Underpayment ?

I’ve just moved over to universal credit which has made me aware of how much benefit I should be receiving. 
I have a feeling that while on ESA I was underpaid. If I’m correct is it too late to do anything about this now I’m on UC? Like too late to get it backdated. 
Is anyone very good at calculating these things, if there’s anyone that could possibly give me a rough estimate of what I should have been receiving a week I’d really appreciate it. I just want to check I’m not making a mistake. 
I was on ESA in the LCWRA group. 
Severe disability premium
and my claim started before April 3 2017 which means I should have been topped up with around £30 a week. 
I have been on pip for years so I’m exempt from the benefit cap (as far as I’m aware). 


  • Bek85
    Bek85 Member Posts: 14 Listener
    Ok so I was definitely being underpaid by around £30 fortnight for many years.
    Is it too late to flag this up and try to get it backdated now that I’m on UC?

    My reason for moving to UC was because I moved to a new area. 
    I thought LCWRA was different to support group? Reason being is that on UC I’m on a lower amount than I would have in support group. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,732 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Are you sure you weren't in the WRAG for ESA? WRAG payment is approximately £30 per week less than Support Group under ESA, for those that started their claim before April 2017.

    Just a thought, were you claiming carers allowance for looking after someone while you were claiming ESA?

    LCWRA is Support Group equivalent. The reason you're on a lower amount now is because you lost the severe disability premium when you moved to UC.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.