Another pip assesment of lies — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Another pip assesment of lies

tosa
tosa Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi new to the group on behalf of my partner, who has had her pip assesment decision form back. What a read it is full of lies contradiction and confusion. It talks about things and yet she was awarded no points for them there are flat out lies about what happend in the assesment and about my partner's state of mind. It makes no mention of me answering the questions because my partner couldn't. We're not really sure on what to do the whole form doesn't make sense does anyone have any ideas on what to do. Thanks in advanced 

Comments

• Paula77
    Paula77 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    It’s disgusting, I have Autism and emotionally unstable personality disorder. I also have a panic disorder. I hardly leave my flat I am totally alone have no partner. My ESA was taken from me and I was awarded no points for any of my disability. I had to go onto universal credit. I can not work in a team or anywhere with crowds of people. I get lowest DLA still, I am awaiating a decision on PIP . I have told them that I request a home visit too. I don’t understand how they have made there decision baring in mind I have hardly worked all my life due to my difficulties. It’s shameful. I hope you go to a tribuneral because that’s what I will be doing if I don’t get awarded PIP. Good luck
    Paula Sandford
  • Bungalow
    Bungalow Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
    Mandatory Reconsideration is the first step of challenging a PIP decision. It is asking the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to look at their decision again. You normally have to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration within one month of the decision date (the date on the decision letter).

Challenging a PIP decision - Ask for Mandatory Reconsideration ...

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/...a.../Ask-for-Mandatory-Reconsideration

Hi Tosa sorry to hear about your ordeal . The above information will tell you all you need to know . I would start by making sure you have all the evidence you need to evidence how it effects doing daily tasks. Where and how the points were allocated and why you didn't get what you think you should. Hope that helps . 
  • pogsy
    pogsy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    This seems to be commonplace now, most people I know that have applied, say the same thing, that their assesment looks like it was someone elses.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    @pogsy Hello there! I'm glad you found us and it's troubling to hear that others you know have experienced significant discrepancies.

Due to the human element and subjectivity of being assessed, inaccuracies could be expected (however annoying, I understand!) but I'd recommend anyone who has a vastly contrary reporting of their conditions impact on the PIP activities to complain to the particular assessment provider.

Is this something you've come across too? 

I hope you're keeping well and take care  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,636 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    The best way to counter untruths in an Assessment, is to ask for it to be Recorded or permission to Record it as soon as you get the appointment letter. More often then not, it will keep the Assessor honest. If the Assessor goes all 'freestyle', then you can point out what you actually said or what you actually meant. In my Assessment last week, the Assessor said

'Can you read', that sounds like a question, 'can you read?', what he was actually asking, was 'do you read?'.  If I said 'I can read', then the Assessor can write 'he reads'. 

The way they ask questions can take them in the direction they want the Assessment Report to go.

• pogsy
    pogsy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for that tip, they are like clever Barristers twisting what you say. But unfortunately you don't know this until you have been shafted.
  • rebel11
    pogsy said:
    Thank you for that tip, they are like clever Barristers twisting what you say. But unfortunately you don't know this until you have been shafted.
    Yes, it is very challenging for 'vulnerable' people. There are things we can do to help ourselves, first and foremost get the Assessment recorded, that's the 'holy grail', it put's the Assessor on 'Guard', even if they 'twist' your words, you have the opportunity to correct things. No recorded Assessment and things become difficult, but not impossible.     
  • jw68
    jw68 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Is it not possible that merely requesting a recorded assessment could trigger you being put on some kind of "troublemakers" list for all future assessments ?.Anecdotal,i know,but through experience i would not trust these charlatans to give us all a fair crack of the whip,as i also have had untruths levelled against me in the past.After all,CAPITA and ATOS {YES,let's give them their proper name} are in the business of passing people fit for work,when they are patently not fit.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    My assessment was recorded; the assessor stated that clearly. I would think it has to be  done for legal purposes. The assessors report is an email to a decision maker, who then makes a ruling- mine was disallowed like  many above, my report was nothing like the  recorded chat. So, I requested another assessment which was done, there and then, over the phone at my insistence ( 19 weeks had already elapsed) Although I was offered time to get more information, I decl8ned this also.  A decision maker ( manager) then contacted me. He asked if I would like to speak to my original assessor. I declined as I said I wasn’t confident in his perception of my answers and that mistruths had been documented.  I also invited the manager to listen to the tape, (  I had also taken notes for reference). Twenty minutes later he rang back and asked for confirmation of my bank details, and assured me I would get an award. If that doesn’t tell me the assessors report was faulty, I don’t know what does. The money went into my bank very quickly, all backdated, and way before the (new) decision was sent. Keep going everyone. If you are genuinely ill you will get the right outcome, but persevere. The whole system should be scrapped, it’s a nightmare. The first decision was so wrong they awarded me a 10 year light touch review! How many more are falling through the  cracks is anyones guess. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    ladyluck said:
    My assessment was recorded; the assessor stated that clearly. I would think it has to be  done for legal purposes.
     Assessments are not automatically recorded, if you want it recorded you can ask or record it yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ladyluck
    Maybe it’s something new then? It was the first thing the assessor stated. As other agencies/companies  record calls, and emphasise this before any information is given, I didn’t dispute it, in fact I welcomed it. I would imagine they record conversations anyway, especially as there is great controversy arising from the person applying and the assessors. Much is being lost in translation. 
  • rebel11
    edited January 2023
    Ideally the assessment companies / DWP don't want Claimants to record assessments, for a lot of reasons, these assessments cost money, so that is the number one reason. Everyone should request it to be recorded, if you are going to record the assessment, then ask permission, otherwise it is 'worthless', you can not refer to it or use it.  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    ladyluck said:
    Maybe it’s something new then? It was the first thing the assessor stated. As other agencies/companies  record calls, and emphasise this before any information is given, I didn’t dispute it, in fact I welcomed it. I would imagine they record conversations anyway, especially as there is great controversy arising from the person applying and the assessors. Much is being lost in translation. 

No, it's not new. The health assessment providers have never automatically recorded assessments. Infact they never recorded tham at all before the rules changed. The claimant always had to record it theirself if they wanted it recorded.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    ladyluck said:

No, it's not new. The health assessment providers have never automatically recorded assessments. Infact they never recorded tham at all before the rules changed. The claimant always had to record it theirself if they wanted it recorded.
    Poppy is correct, it's always something you have had to request.
  • ladyluck
    How strange, the assessor introduced himself with his Christian name  and informed  me the conversation would be recorded, and asked if I had any objection to that, just like other agencies do. This was in august last year. Maybe it’s a new thing because of the amounts  of complaints. Who knows? I take on board it may not be what others have said, in their personal experience, . but that was my experience, whether it’ been past practise or not. Maybe the panel can look into this. I wouldnt have thought it was indicative of one personal assessors choice.Why else would I direct the decision manager to access the recording? I’m really glad they did record it. 
  • rebel11
    ladyluck said:
    How strange, the assessor introduced himself with his Christian name  and informed  me the conversation would be recorded, and asked if I had any objection to that, just like other agencies do. This was in august last year. Maybe it’s a new thing because of the amounts  of complaints. Who knows? I take on board it may not be what others have said, in their personal experience, . but that was my experience, whether it’ been past practise or not. Maybe the panel can look into this. I wouldnt have thought it was indicative of one personal assessors choice.Why else would I direct the decision manager to access the recording? I’m really glad they did record it. 
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2021/february/pip-assessment-recordings-be-allowed

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.