Expected to work whilst caring full time? Please help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Expected to work whilst caring full time? Please help

chrisj721 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi everybody im a full time carer for my mom who is 82 she suffers from angina anxiety attacks and arthriris in her knees and carnt walk very far  also has menieres too which causes the falls  i have to walk with her to my car she uses a wheelchair when we go shopping the jobcentre says i can work and work part time i carnt do this as she carnt be left alone in the house so i take my mom with me to the interviews i have to attend work focussed interviews every 2 months my advisor says but ive not heard they changed it from 3 years as it was before any advce would really help as my advisor goes on about getting part time work i currently recieve carers allowance and income support  any advice on how to deal with this would help


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,251 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're claiming carers allowance then they can't force you to work. Usually when claiming Income support the appointments are usually every 6 months. Every 2 months does seem rather unfair. I'd speak to DWP about this and see what they say or speak to your adviser from the job centre.
  • chrisj721
    chrisj721 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited February 2019
    thanks poppy123456 i have to go on feb13th will speak to them about it it was my advisor who said the rules changed and has me in every 2 months 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.